Spearmint Rhino

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Easy Mr Shaggy
Dec 14, 2002, 22:17
Ah, the old pastime of leftie baiting.

You can't knock someone for standing up for what they believe in. Even if you don't believe in it.

There are not enough righteous people around SN. This is HH U-Know, an area for enlightenment.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Easy Mr Shaggy
Dec 15, 2002, 15:16
I rather think Shagnasty was being ironic, Monkeyboy..... :0)
sputum munger
4 posts

Dec 15, 2002, 15:47
hopefully all shall take note of shagnasty and mr torino's comments and find an satisfying equilibrium.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Dec 15, 2002, 16:47
At one time I used to be Ironic about stuff, sometimes to make a point via parody but especially to wind up a PC girl I knew. I was aware of the potential of irony in the post. Hence the lightness of my reply to it. Only if these things are taken too far they can be attempts at baiting with the get out of 'I was only being Ironic'. I have done this myself in the past. It is a question of how aggressive in tone, weither it is good natured messing about etc.

I did ask SN the other week if he was playing (a post modern) devils advocate on a thread about the firefighters.

But like with the long time unfunny Ali G supposed Irony or Send up can actually end up reinforcing prejiducies which were once being lampooned. in the end it often just reinforces people who have those attitudes. Remember the long time unfunny Harry Enfield character who actually ended up becoming a hero of money grabbing cockneys in the 80s.

Yours Performing The Last Rites on Generation X

MonkeyBoy
Shagnasty
14 posts

Dec 15, 2002, 20:12
Loadsa money was pretty crap so is Ali G. If the tone is harsh it is in equilibrium (thanks for introducing the word to this thread sputem boy) with the overly right on stance taken up earlier. Two wrongs will never make a right and I'll not hide behind the 'I was being ironic' copout, neither will I apologise. The views expressed were over the top yes but I believe in them to a point. I’m actually very middle of the road where politics are concerned and have strong views on certain moral issues. I wouldn’t impinge on a person’s rights to do whatever they please for pleasure as long as they didn’t hurt a third party. Although I’ve never done it I see no wrong in going to a strip joint, or in the owner of one making a packet. Neither is their anything wrong with using the services available in a brothel. Having said that if there were a copy of the Sun in the canteen at work I’d probably check out page three. I am after all a man, and as such prone to occasional weakness! The FHM lingerie 2002 supplement caught my eye just the other day.

Yours, a big fan of the female form.

Shagnasty
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

trolling tips
Dec 16, 2002, 10:48
Shaggers,

you're trying *too* hard!

you have to be a lot more subtle than that to draw people in ...

tonight's homework:
http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html

then come back, re-register under a new name, and hours of over-earnest trolling will ensue!

good luck

RG
Shagnasty
14 posts

Re: trolling tips
Dec 16, 2002, 18:49
It WAS meant to be over the top RG tis why i had so much fun doing it :-)

SN
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Dec 16, 2002, 18:59
There's nothing wrong with being ironic, and why should you have to hide behind it?

And big apologies, I shouldn't have intervened.......
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Dec 16, 2002, 21:00
heh

I might have even bitten if it was a bit shorter ... oh well

tits oot!

RG
Shagnasty
14 posts

Dec 17, 2002, 10:36