U-Know! Forum »
From Twitter

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: From Twitter
Jan 09, 2020, 13:32
MPs have voted against New Clause 2 being added to the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill, by 344 votes to 255.

This new clause would have required the Government to negotiate a comprehensive agreement with the
EU protecting workers’ rights.

#FBPE
@FreeQuayBuoy
This means your annual leave, working hours, maternity, paternity, sick leave and pay, accessibility and protections against discrimination in the work place, grievance policies and tribunals. This is what they always meant by “red tape”. Well done leavers, you’ve screwed us all.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 09, 2020, 13:33
Meanwhile, the Beeb is wall-to-wall Harry and Meghan.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

New York Times: Boris Johnson Might Break Up the U.K. That’s a Good Thing.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:38
I know your minds are sated with all things Brexit, but this opinion piece in today's NYT is an extra helping of food for thought, for anyone interested:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/opinion/brexit-scotland-northern-ireland.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

And then this from today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/11/thousands-scottish-independence-supporters-march-glasgow
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: New York Times: Boris Johnson Might Break Up the U.K. That’s a Good Thing.
Jan 11, 2020, 10:35
Not sated, nauseated.

If Worcestershire would do it I'd be happy.

BTW, for those who say Scotland wouldn't be financially viable how about they sell citizenships to the English at £30K a time? I'd be up for that too, as would many millions of Remainers I suspect.

(They could also tell the English to shift their fecking Trident to the Thames too!)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 11, 2020, 18:22
Zariadris wrote:
I know your minds are sated with all things Brexit, but this opinion piece in today's NYT is an extra helping of food for thought, for anyone interested:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/opinion/brexit-scotland-northern-ireland.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

And then this from today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/11/thousands-scottish-independence-supporters-march-glasgow

I don't know about sated Zariadris - totally sick, disillusioned and resigned is probably closer to the truth for the ordinary U.K. citizen - perhaps not Scotland. The New York Times article isn't saying anything we don't already know. Scotland will get independence eventually I'm sure but not while Boris Johnson is prime minister. Northern Ireland becoming part of a united one nation Ireland is inevitable too - the 'ordinary' people there just want peace along with the right to their own identities - whether that be speaking the Irish language or keeping the close links parts of Northern Ireland has with Scotland and the UK as it currently is. I don't know how that will work when there is no longer a Union as such.

As for England and Wales ... I can only speak for England as this is where I have lived all my life. I weep for England, far from nationalistic pride I see a country that is battered and bewildered. Why the f*ck so many of us (not me or my family) voted for more of the same by putting the Conservatives back in power will always be a puzzle.
The Labour Party is rebuilding though, some good people have stepped forward ready to lead. Keir Starmer looks the most likely candidate as he has the gravitas and compassion to prepare the party for the challenges ahead. As much as I would like to see a woman as leader, current politics is a brutal affair and I think a female leader would ultimately be bullied (possible exception being Emily Thornberry). My own personal philosophy at the moment, is very simple. I can't do anything BIG to change things not just in politics but for the environment too. All I can do is be kinder - give money to buskers, smile at people in shops, say thank you. And carry on flying the flag for public transport, cycling and feet.

All the best
tjj
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jan 11, 2020, 21:11
tjj wrote:
My own personal philosophy at the moment, is very simple. I can't do anything BIG to change things not just in politics but for the environment too. All I can do is be kinder - give money to buskers, smile at people in shops, say thank you. And carry on flying the flag for public transport, cycling and feet.

Inspiring words. Thank you for this typically generous post, full of insight. You and I are on the same page on our respective sides of the pond.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Jul 16, 2020, 14:33
nigelswift wrote:
How the old stole the future of the young ....

GE Result if only 18-24 yr olds voted:

LAB: 544 (56%)
SNP: 58 (5%)
LDM: 22 (11%)
CON: 4 (21%)
GRN: 1 (4%)
PLC: 1 (0.5%)
IND: 1

You with Terry Christian in wishing death on the old because they hold a different political opinion from yourself?
How humane.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Jul 16, 2020, 14:40
nigelswift wrote:
michael
@Sisyphusa

Just read that there were 49,109 "tip-offs" by members of the public to immigration enforcement in a single year (2014-15). That's basically the capacity of Anfield. This snitching, petty, racist little shithole of a country is the absolute worst.

And now Labour is saying it needs to appeal more to Leave voters. Twats.

Try living in Saudi Arabia. Or Brazil. Make a difference!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 16, 2020, 14:42
Whaaat? Where did I imply that? Are you wishing to be obnoxious or is it accidental? Either way, please desist. (I'm old BTW).
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index