Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2018, 14:34
There'll always be an England
Jul 16, 2018, 14:29
Forget football, jellied eels, a cuppa and a slice of cake.....

I was in my town this morning where it was boiling hot as it has been for the past two months, when literally out of the blue we had a horrendous shower!

Within micro-seconds the street was full of people holding up their humble brollies (myself included). Only in England eh!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: There'll always be an England
Jul 16, 2018, 18:31
Yes there will always be an England Roy but as ever, it is an England with many faces. The rich/poor divide still exists though for 'rich' add in well-off middle-class professionals with protected pensions. For poor add food banks, homelessness, sub-standard housing, rogue landlords, zero hour contracts, unemployment and probably poor health - and please don't tell me "they bring it on themselves". As I wander through the latter phase of the life I feel fortunate still to have I observe it all. Am lucky enough to have a good friend with a car so just today was walking in the Cotswolds - what could be more English, more bucolic - but don't even think about living there if you are an ordinary working class person.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 07:32
tjj wrote:
Yes there will always be an England Roy but as ever, it is an England with many faces. The rich/poor divide still exists though for 'rich' add in well-off middle-class professionals with protected pensions. For poor add food banks, homelessness, sub-standard housing, rogue landlords, zero hour contracts, unemployment and probably poor health - and please don't tell me "they bring it on themselves". As I wander through the latter phase of the life I feel fortunate still to have I observe it all. Am lucky enough to have a good friend with a car so just today was walking in the Cotswolds - what could be more English, more bucolic - but don't even think about living there if you are an ordinary working class person.

Blimey June where did that rant come from? I was only pointing out how quintessentially British it is for us to be carrying brollies with us in the middle of the driest summer we have experienced in years! :-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 09:47
Sanctuary wrote:

Blimey June where did that rant come from? I was only pointing out how quintessentially British it is for us to be carrying brollies with us in the middle of the driest summer we have experienced in years! :-)

It was just an observation Roy, not a rant. Yes, I guess it is vaguely surprising people carry brollies in the middle of a heat wave. Perhaps they also use them as protection from the sun. Oh well! Trump says global warming isn't happening so nothing to worry about. Oops! Another rant coming on. Must stop there, have to phone a local rogue landlord (not mine fortunately) so saving my rant for later ...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2018, 12:14
Jul 17, 2018, 09:58
"horrendous shower!" Rain is beautiful and much needed, especially for my beans.
England in our small village represents many different people, and I love them all dearly, whether rich or poor. The farmers who bring their guns to the pub, yes I could rant about killing but don't - they are big fellas! N has just gone by with a sack of hedge cuttings for his goats, the other N who lives on the other side of the pub, lives in a caravan surrounded by his animals, he takes his water from the stand pipe just across the road from us every day.
The people in this village are kind to each other, they look after their church (though not religious) and the sick. They make their world happen without the daily toil of politics which they ignore - thank god.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 10:14
As a fellow sufferer from a need to rant June I'd just add that I think there's probably more rant triggers just now than any time I can remember: food banks, Brexit and climate change denial to help US coal miners to name just three.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 10:31
To be fair it's a political forum so it's not unreasonable to expect a political reply! :)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 10:49
goffik wrote:
To be fair it's a political forum so it's not unreasonable to expect a political reply! :)
G x

Blimey Goff where did that rant come from?
:)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 12:37
Haha! :D Well, you know me - once I've got the bit between my teeth I can be terribly, terribly reasonable. ;)

G x
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 08:21
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

It was just an observation Roy, not a rant. Yes, I guess it is vaguely surprising people carry brollies in the middle of a heat wave. Perhaps they also use them as protection from the sun. Oh well! Trump says global warming isn't happening so nothing to worry about. Oops! Another rant coming on. Must stop there, have to phone a local rogue landlord (not mine fortunately) so saving my rant for later ...

You are either English or British, you can't have both!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index