U-Know! Forum »
Justine Greening and her plan

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Justine Greening and her plan
Jul 16, 2018, 08:45
I couldn't really believe my ears this morning, Justine Greening on the radio saying we should have another referendum, which would include the proposed deal, no deal and fuck it let's not leave at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/16/back-second-brexit-vote-says-conservative-mp-justine-greening
(I'm sure it's a cunning plan of hers (as a remain voter) to get a chance at turning the clock back and remaining)

But for god's sake, your government has to just get on with it and take responsibility for the chaos and mess. Don't hand the responsibility back to the People and then blame them for whatever happens

uh
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Justine Greening and her plan
Jul 16, 2018, 08:59
Rhiannon wrote:
I couldn't really believe my ears this morning, Justine Greening on the radio saying we should have another referendum, which would include the proposed deal, no deal and fuck it let's not leave at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/16/back-second-brexit-vote-says-conservative-mp-justine-greening
(I'm sure it's a cunning plan of hers (as a remain voter) to get a chance at turning the clock back and remaining)

But for god's sake, your government has to just get on with it and take responsibility for the chaos and mess. Don't hand the responsibility back to the People and then blame them for whatever happens

uh

She didn't fare well in the a recent Cabinet reshuffle so doubt if she feels much loyalty to May. I don't question her integrity but surely giving 'the people' three choices in a referendum instead of two would be as indecisive as before. I don't support this government in any way but feel May's plan should at least be considered by the EU ... a compromise yes, but better than the 'no deal' scenario. And its unrealistic to think we are going to stay in now - its all gone too far down a one way street for a u-turn.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 16, 2018, 10:16
Rhiannon wrote:

Well yes, that's the accusation thrown at everyone who calls for a second referendum. And it's true, that's what remainers hope for. At least they're honest. What's deeply dishonest is saying "no referendum, the people have spoken" while thinking Christ we'll probably lose if we agree to it as "the people" may have changed their minds.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 16, 2018, 11:19
I wholly support a second ref, which (this time) should be done properly, with clear definitions as to what staying or leaving would entail and how it would affect the economy of the country. To deny a second vote is quite simply supporting illegal action taken by the Leave campaign and undermining democracy.

Democracy also, isn't just the will of the people, it's by the people for the people and in no way has any so-called 'deal' been 'for' the people, in fact the only people benefitting are millionaires who willingly use tax havens, so not really sure what leave supporters think they're going to gain!

A second ref is not only needed it's vital for the integrity and future of democracy in what's left of the 'UK'
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jul 16, 2018, 14:08
I want to stay so I wouldn't mind a referendum, especially as the 'yes' would now be split in two, but that's the point, it's seems a sure fire 'No' winner, and she didn't mention that at all.

Can you imagine the huffing and puffing though.

Plus the Tory party would explode (hmmm now there's an idea).

Is the penny dropping with more of the government or something? They've said 'the will of the people' so many times that maybe they're starting to realise asking again is the only way out of this fiasco. Since we have to respect the sacred will of the people. Regardless of the sense for the country. etc
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 16, 2018, 22:44
Bollocks to the will of the people, well about 25% of the country who voted to leave and hold the 75% hostage! People have already lost their jobs and livelihoods over this. There's no sense in not having a second ref, it's the only way out, sadly the likes of May are being held hostage by rampant tory brexiteers and the so-called opposition that's labour are being led by a rampant brexiteer, so even though I want a second (legal) ref I can't see it happening as not one leader in westminster has got the guts to support it
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

4 Labour MPs just saved May
Jul 17, 2018, 20:26
4 Labour MPs along with the DUP just saved May's government from facing a vote of no confidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44864496

The amendment would have required the government to negotiate a customs union with the EU in the event that it can't agree a free trade deal. Its defeat means a no-deal outcome is looking very real now,as is the return of a hard border to Northern Ireland (who no-one in Westminster seems to give a shit about any longer, any more than they do about the prospect of huge job losses). None of the supposed Tory "rebels" voted against the government.

The Chequers deal is completely dead now, May is trapped by the Brexit hardliners.

The only vaguely positive thing is that the government lost a vote on keeping the UK in the EU medicines regulatory network.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: 4 Labour MPs just saved May
Jul 17, 2018, 20:36
Apologies for error in the above, 12 Tory MPs did vote against the government in the customs union amendment.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 22:32
It is painful to watch. I'd like think a General Election will be called very soon but afraid should Jeremy Corbyn get in as new PM - what a poisoned chalice he will inherit. He and the Labour Party would soon become scapegoats for this unholy self-serving mess. Am fast coming round to the idea of another referendum - if the EU would still have us after all this.

Now Japan has a trade deal with EU it is only a matter of time until the Japanese car companies leave for mainland Europe.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 17, 2018, 23:12
Don't forget that corbyn's a rampant brexiteer too, this is like a wet dream for him! If a GE is called I seriously doubt he'd win, most polls still support May over him and if the last GE is anything to go by then it's not just a case of having more party members it's a case of the who get off their arses and do things to help win elections. That didn't happen.

If a 'brexit' election is called he'd still lose as people have no idea what he stands for (apart from propping up the tories) and as such he's not trusted. If you want to get rid of the tories a GE isn't the answer.

I live in Wales, I want to see the back of both of them.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index