64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Jul 20, 2018, 08:44
Re: Trump. Vaguely cheering news.
Jul 20, 2018, 08:40
Locodogz wrote:
Firstly - interesting post - and I mean that genuinely (for the avoidance of doubt!!)

A few observations (frankly in no particular order)

I think you've answered your own question re the profile and levels of violence in recognising the advances in gun technology. 50 years ago it was seriously difficult to kill one person over a distance greater than say 20 yards with a hand gun - don't believe the westerns its seriously difficult to shoot accurately with an old revolver - now even a mildly proficient shot can take down many people at a distance due to the power and rapidity of fire of modern firearms.

Second point - and probably where we're most at odds - I don't read this debate as just about guns. You're absolutely right to point that there are a myriad of issues behind all of these shootings (social alienation, the rise of mental health issues) which, even if there was the will to sort out (which I sadly doubt) would take many, many years to sort out. The reason that many people focus on the firearms question is the fact that - in the absence of solutions to the other contributing factors - guns are the frighteningly blunt, visible and bloody denouement tool in many of these scenarios. Restrict access to these and you might at least stem the body count whilst as a society you seek to address the other issues you (correctly) reference.

Here in the UK we have a seemingly increasing mental health problem however, thankfully, the fact that it is pretty difficult for the average Joe to lay their hands on a gun mean that instances such as our Dunblane are mercifully few. Again to be clear, thats not meant to be smug (as a society we've our own share of issues), buts its the reality of the situation. We're probably no less beset by people who might chose to carry out these atrocities but, thankfully, they don't have easy access to the means of carrying them out.

Anyway here'endeth the rant!

Thanks, Locodogz, for the "rant." It was a refreshing read, and gave me more to consider. It may be that I am not giving sufficient weight to "advances" in gun technology, which make it increasingly easy to kill large numbers of people. Material factors are certainly an important factor and should not be overlooked. Nonetheless, I still think that advocating for a "cultural/social approach" is the most realistic, and ultimately most effective, way of tackling the problem of gun violence in the US. On a personal level, I have no affinity for guns, gun culture, or the NRA. But I am aware of the broader culture and history of the country in which I live. That culture and history may be fundamentally screwed, but it's what we've got to work with.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index