Trump. Vaguely cheering news.

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2018, 01:23
Re: Trump. Vaguely cheering news.
Jul 09, 2018, 01:22
Like you Lawrence, I have been really disappointed in the intellectual bankruptcy of most of the US "Left." They have become so blinded by their hate of Trump that they would rather see the North Korean talks fail, or have continued tensions with Russia, than for Trump to have any moment of success. The traditional anti-war and pro-working class rhetoric of the left has been abandoned for partisan politics. Apparently, as long as there is a Democrat in office, it is all right, even if that Democrat is expanding America's imperial reach, a la Obama.

One of the few public leftists who has remained ideologically consistent is Jimmy Dore, who has a good youtube channel. He didn't fall for the anti-Russia hysteria, and has also criticized the left's recent "wasn't Bush a great president?" narrative.

I like Trump in the sense that I think he was better than the alternative, and, so far at least, has been better than the last few presidents (admittedly, that bar is set pretty low). There is still plenty to criticize Trump on, though. We may be winding down in Syria, but is the war front simply getting ready to switch to Iran? I'd love to see the return of a viable left in American politics, one that valued ideology more than partisanship.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index