Trump. Vaguely cheering news.

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2018, 11:07
Re: Trump. Vaguely cheering news.
Jul 07, 2018, 10:54
Those are very interesting links with food for thought. It makes a change to see that perspective presented thoughtfully without flecks of spit.

My initial thought though is, yes he is perhaps a different sort of president to the previous recent republican presidents. But is his strategy of withdrawing from all these international agreements, and threatening to put a big wall up against Mexico etc, and altering trade tariffs and so on - all the 'America First' stuff, is it because he's a canny politician and thought it all through carefully, or is it because he's basically a egotistical businessman with no previous thought about the rest of the world, who tweets inflammatory comments to the leader of North Korea, because he's a moron? This is the question. Does he really care about the poor white people of America and their 'American Dream'? I really doubt it.

In the article - it's all very well carefully analysing Trump's moves, as though in retrospect they are part of a carefully constructed Plan, but can we not judge from his habit of firing off tweets in the middle of the night, that he's not the sort of character to be carefully weighing up the effects of his actions? I would imagine the writer of the article putting more time into what they wrote than the time it took the impulsive Trump to decide on his latest trade decision. We don't want an impulsive sociopath with their finger on the nuclear button.

The writer says ' Donald Trump is preparing a reorganisation of international relations.' Even if he is, I can't believe his motives behind this outcome would have the interests of the world in mind. So however clever and thoughtful and canny Trump might or might not be, he's not really adding to the benefit of mankind with his actions - he's an egotist, which is how he's got to where he is. And probably Trump and Putin will get along a little too well, they both enjoy destabilising the world. I'm not sure there is much to cheer really.

I thought the story about the landlord wanting to politely welcome the leader of our long-time friend America was naively sweet and well-mannered, his old mum would be proud (or actually I hope she'd hit him with a rolling pin for being such a wally). Also, all publicity is good publicity of course :)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index