721 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3570 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2018, 16:39
Re: Boris plays the race card
Oct 03, 2018, 13:58
Have been reading 'Under the Rock' by Benjamin Myers about life after he relocated from London to Mytholmroyd in West Yorkshire. The chapter where he describes the 2015 floods is particularly descriptive and moving. I think the following paragraphs may be relevant to what is being discussed here. My point being, when we pull together in adversity we are much, much better than toxic, coded propaganda.

"First on the scene is the Sikh charity Khalsa Aid, whose volunteers mobilised at the very first news reports of the floods yesterday morning. They arrive in mini-buses with shovels and buckets, and great vats of curry and dahl, and foil parcels of chapattis that they warm and serve around the clock for days. Hundreds more, they tell us are on their way up from London and the South-east.
Next come Muslim families bearing food parcels and blankets and a willingness to help in any way they can, and a group of young strong men from the hilltops around Sowerby Bridge – mechanics, farmers, all members of a Sunday League football team perhaps – and Syrian refugees from Manchester, who very recently fled a war zone, yet who still arrive not in ‘waves’ or ‘cockroach-like’, as the tabloid hate-speak would have it, but with smiles and energy and love. They pick up shovels and get to work ….

All is spoiled and sodden and rotten, but across the North it is a similar story. The charity the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association send 350 further volunteers to thirty-eight of these towns and villages.
And people keep coming, of all stripes. We are left and right, brown and white, dyed-in-the-wool anarchists and ardent conservatives, working in quiet co-ordination, and as I straighten and stand to drink my tea, my boots half hidden by the mulch of hillside and moor, the stinking river bed levelling everything like a rotten, acrid carpet, I am suddenly struck by the completely ineffectual nature of party politics. Sometimes – when the situation demands it – people rally. They just do. Dogma goes out the window when flood waters rush in. There are no politicians here – they’ll come weeks and months later to have their pictures taken – there are no ethical debates, ugly elections or vicious bills to be passed. Just mud, spades, laughter, tea, grit, tears, strength and sympathy. Community."
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index