Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Jul 25, 2018, 16:06
Quite. See also "whataboutery":

"a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument, which is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda."
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 25, 2018, 17:12
What a sad place the rampant brexiteers have turned this country into. Blind determination to push through a completely nonsensical ideology that will economically cripple this country for generations, and we won't even get our borders back!

I think the only reason they still support this lunacy is they've no arguments to support it, so come out with the olde 'will of the people' waffle in the ludicrous assumption that democracy ended in June 2016!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 25, 2018, 17:17
I must just counter this:
Sanctuary wrote:
"your post this morning where you dragged your grandchildren in seemed to me to be a desperate attempt at showing the world that they must listen to you at all costs!"

What I ACTUALLY said was:
"My objection to Brexit isn,t about that though. It's the fact it's the defeat of the young - both their opinions and their aspirations. That's what makes me so bitter - our generation has had it all but our children will have far less - what a legacy to leave them."

I suspect at that very moment it dawned on you "Christ the bastard is right" and simply hit out at me to stop the squealing in your head. So I forgive you for all you said. OK.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 26, 2018, 12:10
I like succinctness, it obviates aggressive or diversionary responses....

David Lammy
?Verified account @DavidLammy
3h3 hours ago

Why the gov's "will of the people" Brexit mantra is bollocks:

1. Vote Leave cheated.
2. It was based on lies e.g. £350m for NHS.
3. Only 37% of the electorate voted for it.
4. Scotland & London voted against.
5. 69% say Brexit is going badly.
6. Public supports a #PeoplesVote.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 26, 2018, 12:32
While he knowingly lied about the EU ref, knowingly mislead parliament and now conspiring with a foreign media company to undermine the stability of the country.

Aren’t we on the verge of treason here?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/boris-johnson-steve-bannon
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 26, 2018, 19:59
Nice summary, although disappointing that number 4 didn't include Northern Ireland.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 26, 2018, 20:27
My mistake, there was a part 2:

7. Brexit threatens peace in Northern Ireland, which also voted against.
8. Russia interfered and influenced the result.
9. The referendum was advisory and non-binding.
10. The govt has no mandate for Chequers or No Deal - the only options left on the table.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2018, 08:44
Jul 27, 2018, 08:43
Let's add more:

11. The US has just spurned Liam Fox's attempts to open trade talks, the Leavers' Big Idea, saying "not until Brexit has happened" (on the good commercial grounds, no doubt, that when Britain has no alternative Britain can be screwed even harder.)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 27, 2018, 09:26
I must say I can't see much wrong with a bit of obsession when it comes to something one believes strongly in.

Maybe that phrasing is just one of the #Brexiteer's many defences against those who disagree with them. Although it does reek of hypocrisy, considering the apparent obsession from their part.

I'm speaking generally, and in the plural, rather than zeroing in on one individual.

But yes - obsessively speaking out against something one is opposed to is all part of living in a democracy. "Free speech", and all that.

There are a couple of (loosely related) things that I can't quite fathom:

One is that a lot of #Brexiteers seem to also be in favour of many of the awful things that Donald Trump says and stands for. Does this highlight a general level of gullibility on their part? Or is it more fair to suggest they are victims of targeted social media campaigns that have been headline news in recent times?

Another is their apparent inability to accept that they may, in fact, be wrong! There is no shame in admitting a momentary lapse of reason when overwhelming opposing facts are presented. I'm sure if #Brexit - against all evidence - turns out to be a great idea where we all - as individuals, and as a country - prosper and become a greater and fairer society then I will happily admit to being wrong.

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 27, 2018, 09:50
I think obsession is fine when each day that goes by demonstrates you're right Goff. It's less so when each day shows you you're not. The evidence backs you into such a tight corner that you end up claiming you'll be delighted if there's no deal. Wot the actual feck?
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index