U-Know! Forum »
Jesus I despise Brexit.

Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Mar 13, 2019, 11:45
Voting Brexit is spiffing if you think you are dead sure you and your family will be culturally and financially as well off afterwards.
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2019, 12:38
Mar 13, 2019, 12:07
Voting remain is equally spiffing if you’re dead sure we’re not sleepwalking into a dictatorship with a thin veneer of democracy. I’m not saying the ‘other side’ is any better..
It used to be said, more so in the past, that families shouldn’t talk about ‘politics’ because it can divide a family. Break up the natural unity of a family, a community even..replacing it with ideas of ‘false’ unity..of ideas. Now who would want to be doing that?

I like Dolly Parton’s quote about growing up “We didn’t know we were poor till somebody came and told us”

It’s important to talk but let it not just be solely to defend a political position. Admirable though that can be at times.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 13:28
I'm not defending a political position, I'm saying something much simpler: I believe what the vast majority of the world's economists say, that it will be a financial disaster for most people.

Which also begs an interesting philosophical question: if people have voted that way is it best to support their right to make that self-harming decision or not?
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2019, 14:23
Mar 13, 2019, 13:44
I wasn’t specifically referring to what you said. I found it a bit loaded but no matter.
I’m not gonna tackle the ‘philosophical’ point..I’ll get me sen in t’ trouble! I can feel it! Something about free speech.

..that’s so ‘1984’ Nigel!!

“May you’re god go with you”

..brushes fag ash from trouser leg. : )
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 16:36
I have no idea what I said that you thought was loaded or was "so 1984".

I do know what loaded is though, and "so 1984" is definitely that.
Amil04
447 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 17:20
.. I was saying “so 1984” in good humour..believe me.

You said..

“Which also begs an interesting philosophical question: if people have voted that way is it best to support their right to make that self-harming decision or not?”

Which sounded to me a bit like..

“We’re not sure if you should have the right to vote unless you’re going vote for ‘us’, us being the obvious way forward to any sane person”

Just my interpretation..I don’t mean to offend.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 18:18
Amil04 wrote:

Which sounded to me a bit like..
“We’re not sure if you should have the right to vote unless you’re going vote for ‘us’, us being the obvious way forward to any sane person”

Well yes, that's what it was meant to sound like. 500 out of 650 MPs believed Remain was better for the welfare of their constituents whereas a majority of voters thought otherwise, albeit by a much smaller majority.

That DOES beg an interesting philosophical question -should an MP do what he thinks is in his constituents' best interest or should he do what his constituents want? There's no simple answer and there are many occasions when MPs didn't do what constituents' wanted.

For me, the leave vote was so damaging I'd like to see, at the very least, a second referendum.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 18:22
... And here's a question for you: if there was a kitten referendum where 52% of people said all kittens should be shot, should MPs action it without asking them to reconsider?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2019, 20:35
Mar 13, 2019, 20:34
Captain Starlet wrote:
Well, that was fun, will wait to see what happens tomorrow. I can't see a no-deal being accepted but then again I never thought leave would win either! I'd say my money's on revoke A50 or people's vote, but bit short of cash at the moment due to losing my job because of brexit!

You have my sympathy. My income is unlikely to be directly affected by Brexit (aside from whatever collective hit the country takes) but two people I know - including one very close friend - have already lost their jobs because of this disaster. And they don't even live in the UK!

The votes today have been intriguing. The rejection of "No Deal" was surprisingly close, but a rejection it was. And we've already had a rejection of literally the only deal the EU will countenance.

You'd imagine that - by default - that amounts to a rejection of brexit entirely. No such luck unfortunately; but if May can't secure an extension it's hard to see how she can do anything other than revoke Article 50 given today's vote. There's no longer time for another referendum or an election.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 13, 2019, 20:40
I feel their pain, over 1000 of us lost our jobs in 2016 as a direct result of the referendum. We're part of the group that people don't like to talk about as we don't fit in to a good political narrative.

I'm not sure what would be accomplished with an extension without a further referendum. I really can't see any other way out of this mess. The whole backstop situation isn't going to change and can't change the fact that at the end of the day the best deal the uk is going to get is remaining.
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index