Jesus I despise Brexit.

Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2019, 07:53
Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Feb 19, 2019, 06:55
Well there are a number of instances of closures where the management has been at pains to say it's not to do with Brexit, O no, definitely not, but I'm sufficiently lacking in faith in the Tory Govt. to suspect companies are being threatened with withdrawal of funds if they badmouth Brexit. A Govt that can bribe Western Europe's most backward political party to support it can't be entirely squeaky clean. ;)

My son works for a company in Gloucester which exclusively supplies Honda and of course that will entirely fold pretty soon. That's another 600 people gone, just one example of the wider impact. The Government would never publish the real figure of redundancies for obvious reasons (an Oxford academic says 10,000 in the supply chain alone). Meanwhile, Corbyn won't support a peoples' vote for exactly the same reasons.

Have you seen what Tom Watson said about the Party? What a really nice fellow.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 10:20
James Melville
? @JamesMelville

Sony
Dyson
Panasonic
Lloyds
Unilever
Goldman Sachs
Barclays
Airbus
Flybmi
P&O
HSBC
JP Morgan
UBS
Ford
Hitachi
Toshiba
AXA
Honda
Moneygram
Philips
European Banking Authority
European Medicines Agency
Bank of America

But apparently, it’s got nothing to do with Brexit.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 10:32
DAMMIT. I was literally just about to post that!

It's a huge coincidence, isn't it? I mean - obviously these companies were all thinking of leaving the UK before the referendum. Obviously.

I'm sure some idiots can find another justification for all this.

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 11:16
55% of people in Swindon voted Leave so I guess they won't think it's anything to do with that!

Next up is Toyota in Derby where 57.2% voted Leave. I guess they're not worried either....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 15:29
nigelswift wrote:
55% of people in Swindon voted Leave so I guess they won't think it's anything to do with that!

Next up is Toyota in Derby where 57.2% voted Leave. I guess they're not worried either....

How is this helpful Nigel, the people of Swindon are DEVASTATED. I obviously don't work for Honda and hate f*cking cars - this massive swerve by the Japanese car companies is bad news in the short term for the workers but good news for the planet. I can only hope Honda make an honourable departure by decontaminating the very large site they leave behind and planting a woodland.
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2019, 18:08
Feb 19, 2019, 17:38
I remember when this country had its own car industries..the real decline of industry in this country began when? 70’s ? What else did we do then? Enough of this ‘Cold Civil War!’ Where’s the water powered cars anyway? ...water powered car? Don’t be daft!

https://youtu.be/GFIlXaABU54

“A couple of years before it goes into mass production’ ha..

It was obviously a fraud then? Or was it? He wasn’t the first..he won’t be the last.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 18:55
Sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just that in interviews people who voted Remain are saying Brexit is a factor and those who voted Brexit are saying it isn't - so they're compounding their mistake by lying about it.

For the town to be devasted yet still have people walking about pretending it's not partly their fault must be a bitter pill for it to swallow.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 19, 2019, 20:29
nigelswift wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just that in interviews people who voted Remain are saying Brexit is a factor and those who voted Brexit are saying it isn't - so they're compounding their mistake by lying about it.

For the town to be devasted yet still have people walking about pretending it's not partly their fault must be a bitter pill for it to swallow.

I know I should walk away now because I really don't want to argue with you Nigel but I'm going to defend Swindon. If as you said earlier 55% voted to Leave it means 45% voted to Remain - and that's not counting the politically disinterested who didn't vote at all. You seem to be implying that all the Honda workers voted Leave which I'm sure wasn't the case.
I have been listening to all the news commentary today (on and off) and it generally conceded although the uncertainty about a 'no deal' Brexit hasn't helped, the Japanese Honda CEO said this morning it was about global trends; moving to electric cars; and manufacturing where the largest markets are i.e. USA, China, and Japan - not Europe. Apparently Honda never really took off in Europe.
Please don't write the people of Swindon off by suggesting they deserve what they got. Quite a substantial percentage of Swindon's working population are EU citizens who would not have been allowed to vote in the referendum.

Now could someone, somewhere please declare peace and stop this awful blame game - its tearing the country apart.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2019, 06:07
Feb 20, 2019, 05:45
Sorry June I really think you are criticising what isn't there. Please see what I actually said.

As for the cause of the disaster, Honda (and all Swindon's high tech firms) advised their employees to vote Remain because they thought Brexit would be bad for them (little dreaming it might be even worse than a soft Brexit) so I don't buy the Government inspired message that Brexit had nothing to do with it. Not for one minute.

Of course I know it's terrible for the town and that a lot of people voted remain so you have no need to defend them against a perceived but non-existent criticism. I used to live near Longbridge, how could I not know how the town is feeling?

But I reserve the right to resent specifically those who voted Brexit all over UK in defiance of advice from their employers and who have brought about an ongoing calamity. My son voted Remain and will lose his job, both he and all the remain voters in Swindon deserves more sympathy than those who "wanted to take back control" like it said on a bus.

If there's any silver lining it's that Swindon is on the M4 corridor and very popular with employers so it will recover in the end. I doubt the same can be said of the North East or South Wales.
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2019, 09:03
Feb 20, 2019, 09:02
..a friend of mine told me it was more to do with the fact it was a diesel only plant. Diesel’s gonna be gone by 2022? I’ll have to check this..I can’t see electric’s going to be any better. Nobody questions why people need to drive around so much. Just where is all the traffic going and why? Freight on Rail!
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index