U-Know! Forum »
Jesus I despise Brexit.

Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: U-Know as a free space.
Nov 18, 2018, 11:32
You shouldn't encourage me! I'm sorry you lost your job. What pees me off is that every pro-Brexit member of the Cabinet is a millionaire who won't suffer at all and in fact will be greatly enriched if their wealth is in gold whereas a massive number of car workers will lose their jobs and see their house prices plummet. It's a terrible story that one day historians will document with amazement.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 18, 2018, 12:01
It's getting worse when you read about Banks and the Russian and american alleged collusion. If it's proven then it's gut wrenching that these people aren't being investigated.

I was arguing online the other day with some people here in Wales who think it's going to be the best thing ever, think food banks are just another step from ration books and still think that we're getting £350mn a week extra for the NHS.

This is all so unavoidable.

And jeremy fucking corbyn STILL won't support a people's vote!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 18, 2018, 12:19
Did you see him on Sky this morning? Terrible. I get it he thinks the EU is a damaging capitalist plot but surely our home grown capitalists are far more ruthless? Let's face it, the man of principle is just scrabbling for power.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Nov 18, 2018, 13:51
nigelswift wrote:
Crumbs! "The problem with U-know is the one-sideness of the issues, Brexit till we are all sick of it, and then fox-hunting as the ultimate cruelty, when there are other issues of absolute cruelty"

In my own view, this place is a shadow of the place it once was (social media killed the web forum as a general rule -- it's not just here). But I did find that particular objection a bit odd.

Any registered user can start a thread about anything they want here. And nobody is being forced to read the threads on subjects that don't interest them. I couldn't tell you what's going on in most of the other threads on this board (let alone the other 3).

There is no "editorial line" at this place any more. There used to be, but that's not been the case for almost a decade now.

nigelswift wrote:
I have a personal hatred of Brexit as it will make so many people poorer and I have a particular dislike of fox hunting cruelty as it's so deliberate. So I guess I'll continue to go on about it here ad some people's nauseam and others are welcome to go on about other stuff as long as they like. It's a free forum, hurrah, not a controlled one......

Brexit is the defining political event in the UK and Ireland right now. If it happens, it will have massive repercussions on these islands for decades to come. It has the potential to wreck lives, reignite violence, divide communities, and so much more. And that's without counting the economic costs.

Some of us may have "brexit-fatigue", but that's up to you to deal with. Do whatever feels right... ignore it if you want. But don't try to pretend it isn't important. And don't tell people not to discuss important things.

Are there "worse" things going on in the world? Damn straight. How about an ebola outbreak in the middle of one of the current hotspots in the Congolese civil-war? The Chinese "re-education camps" for the Uighur minority? North Korea? What might be about to happen to indigenous groups in Brazil?

Christ, the world is full of awful cruelty and terrible things. On whatever cosmic sliding-scale of human suffering exists, these things are worse than brexit.

But they are also happening to other people. Brexit is happening to us. "That shouldn't matter"? Except it does. It's perfectly reasonable (nay, entirely natural) to focus more of your attention and energy on a problem that (a) directly impacts your family... people you are biologically hard-wired to protect, and (b) feels like you may have some control over it ("a letter-writing campaign to my MP may affect brexit in a tiny way if they change their position... the same amount of effort put into writing about the civil-war in DRC will have zero impact however" is a reasonable position in my view).

But mostly it's (a). I know people who are already in trouble because of brexit. I know people uprooting their entire families because a neighbouring country voted to fuck us over based on lies and criminal activity.

It's the main topic of conversation right now for a reason.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 18, 2018, 20:57
grufty jim wrote:

Christ, the world is full of awful cruelty and terrible things. On whatever cosmic sliding-scale of human suffering exists, these things are worse than brexit.

But they are also happening to other people. Brexit is happening to us. "That shouldn't matter"? Except it does. It's perfectly reasonable (nay, entirely natural) to focus more of your attention and energy on a problem that (a) directly impacts your family... people you are biologically hard-wired to protect, and (b) feels like you may have some control over it ("a letter-writing campaign to my MP may affect brexit in a tiny way if they change their position... the same amount of effort put into writing about the civil-war in DRC will have zero impact however" is a reasonable position in my view).

But mostly it's (a). I know people who are already in trouble because of brexit. I know people uprooting their entire families because a neighbouring country voted to fuck us over based on lies and criminal activity.

What wise words!
By which I mean, I suppose, I entirely agree. (How else can we conclude something is wise?!)

I'd just add that personal connection isn't the only reason we get upset about things. It can also be inexplicable and random stuff. I personally get really upset that 3 species of rhinos have become extinct in the past few years whereas of vastly more concern is the impending mass extinction of a zillion other species. There's no explanation for that. Mr Spock would say it's typical illogicality, but we're made to be random about our concerns. And preferences as well.

As for your bleak words about B..x.t, for me age makes it worse. You get old and hope things will be OK-ish when you're gone so to suddenly find the reverse is to happen, for sure, beyond all hope of a bright side is effing annoying.

But Scotland, at least, has a chance, hope they take it.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 19, 2018, 11:10
That last line was spot on! No thankfully I don't have tv channels so I'm one of the fortunate few who miss everything

His absence at all of the people's vote events has been widely noticed, he wasn't even in the country at the last one with 700,000 people there! How big a two fingers is that! He's lost a lot of support, but is still deluded to think that he'd win a general election!

The only reason he's pushing for a GE is so he can bring brexit in under his own terms and claim it as a victory from that 'capitalist plot' which has somehow hindered and put a stop to our national industries like the NHS, shipbuilding etc. It's sheer lunacy. Never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'd rather the tories in westminster than labour under his leadership, that's how bad he is (and I say that as a former lifelong labour member and voter).

I was amazed when I was running for council that labour candidates were actually pushing that same nonsense around, without actually realising the fact that European countries have better national industries than we do. They just didn't sell their off to the lowest bidder.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Nov 19, 2018, 11:12
Thanks Captain

Believe it or not I'm aware that Oxfordshire isn't a country.

I also know that Wales is a country.

Crucially I'm also aware that - as things stand - membership of the EU is a matter for United Kingdom legislature.

But thanks anyway
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 19, 2018, 11:13
I'm currently learning Welsh, in the hope the uk breaks up, if not I'm buying a thick jumper and enjoy an independent Scotland, or anywhere really that's part of the EU. Not that I'm a huge fan of the EU, I just want the quality of life that I've enjoyed from being a part of it.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 19, 2018, 11:27
But being STILL sniped at:
"Okay apologies to those delicate toes I might have stepped on", and
"Here I am going to quote Grufty Jim because that sliding scale should really push a lot of hot air down the scale"

That's NOT going to discourage me from having opinions about Brexit and expressing them. Lord I've been insulted a hundred times worse by someone else previously on this forum for opposing what's happening and not expressing warm congratulating to both May and Trump. (True.)

Todays instalment is the PM blowing the racist dog whistle as a desperate attempt to get support for her agreement. As I've said before, it was the racists wot made all the difference in 2016 and it's a fair bet it will work again. Blow economics, too complicated, let's "take control of our immigration policy", that's what REALLY matters to the crucial portion of the swing voters.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 19, 2018, 11:29
And having the freedom to roam (and live) in any part of it!
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index