Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Gunboats ordered to protect our fish stocks
Mar 30, 2018, 19:18
nigelswift wrote:
Currently:
"As it stands... Belgium’s 402 fishermen and their 65 boats, whose main catch is dover sole, are more dependent on those (British) waters than most."

On a practical level there WILL be bad blood on a continuing basis - which is hardly conducive to a reasonable wider settlement or a request for support over Salisbury.
Also, we're walking away from rational international co-operation based on scientific advice where sensible compromise is possible and talking about gunboats for Christ's sake. I guess I'm entitled to feel that's shameful.

No-one is walking away from a rational international co-operation based on scientific advice. There will be a rational understanding of British waters. And that will be understood internationally. Scientific advice will continue from scientists. As before, fleets and boats from other countries will be able to apply to fish British Waters for the appropriate fee and under license. This was always robustly policed, as there has never in the history of Europe been "sensible compromise" when it came to some people and countries appropriating other countries and other people's property. It is called Law Enforcement. It stop people breaking down your door, stealing your telly and punching your children.

It looks like Belgium did not actually have a sustainable fishing industry to begin with, it is almost entirely based on fishing British waters. However, like before they can apply for licenses and pay for them. Similarly, EU rules presided over the dismantling of many UK industries. The EU did not shed a tear over a single job, livelihood or community lost in the UK by their actions, rulings and interventions. I shall not weep for the Belgian Fishermen just as they didn't weep for the Scottish Fleets scuttled by EU laws and regulation.

Go ahead and feel shameful for the Belgians.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index