Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2017, 17:57
Re: Europe to legalise Pulse Fishing
Nov 28, 2017, 13:35
grufty jim wrote:
The idea that people don't want to be seen to "criticise the EU" made me smile. Isn't that the national past-time in the UK at the moment? It's like when The Express complains about how "you're not allowed talk about immigration anymore" after a solid month of front-page headlines about immigration .....

Once again, thanks for your measured analysis Jim. First of all, my source information was an Irish news-link and I understand it is causing a lot of concern there ....
"The Irish Wildlife Trust had urged the committee’s members to resist the measure. In a statement it said:
“The development of industrial electrocution of marine life is a further indicator of chronic overfishing of our waters, which requires ever more destructive modes of capture to target what’s left of fish and invertebrate populations for commercial exploitation.”

Criticising the EU is not a national past time in the UK - depends on which papers you read I suppose (didn't know the Express still existed). On the contrary, everywhere I look is gloom about the future. We are a country that has lost its confidence and one of the royals popping up to announce their forthcoming nuptials seems like a convenient distraction. I have no idea at the moment what the UK Govt stance on this issue is but of course, given this current lot, I would be very surprised if it were anything other than your view. We can't just sleep walk into allowing yet more marine destruction - it's not just the plight of the fishermen (who have a long and valuable heritage) its the plight of us all. Its our oceans being raped and pillaged - no point in highlighting plastic getting into the seas (from washing our clothes as well, I heard this morning) if we don't collectively act to protect the already depleted fish stocks. Bird life will of course suffer too.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index