Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
How did you vote in the great 2016 Folly Daddy?

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2018, 23:05
Re: Quelle surprise!
Feb 28, 2018, 23:04
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

So dispiriting is this, I wasn't going to comment on again. Here we are though ... Swindon, unlike most of the smaller market towns in Wiltshire, probably has more in common with the West Midlands. Large multicultural population including a firmly established Polish community, two car factories, one of which is Honda - now under threat because of Brexit. How was this writing never writ large on any wall.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15985959.Honda_will_leave_the_UK_if_Government_fails_to_secure_access_to_EU_market/

On the other hand...
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/toyota-build-auris-car-uk-plant-brexit-boost-105404685--finance.html
I wasn't going to comment again either :-)

At a quick glance that sounds like good news though not necessarily a done deal - to quote:
Sources told Reuters last year that Toyota planned to build the model in Britain on the assumption that ministers will secure a transitional Brexit deal designed to maintain current trading conditions until at least the end of 2020.
The automaker said free trade was important for the future.
"With around 85 percent of our UK vehicle production exported to European markets, continued free and frictionless trade between the UK and Europe will be vital for future success," said Toyota Europe President and CEO Johan van Zyl in Wednesday's statement.

I spoke to someone who is employed by Honda a couple of weeks back - he said it was quite possible Honda would relocate to Europe as a large percentage of their cars are for the American market which they export under the current EU trade deal. Plus most of the parts come from various EU countries.

Ah well! I'm past getting agitated about it all. We've always got Dyson - word has it he's building his electric car in Wiltshire. Lets hope he doesn't relocate his factory to the far east as he did with his vacuum cleaner.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index