Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
How did you vote in the great 2016 Folly Daddy?

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2017, 12:08
Re: How did you vote in the great 2016 Folly Daddy?
Nov 24, 2017, 12:06
drewbhoy wrote:
So Britain ignores Scotland. Fantastic! Time to bring SNP MPs home I think.

My Scottish friends are all pro-Independence and so, by proxy, am I. However, I'm also of the opinion that Brexit has made the whole issue *way* more complicated. If Scotland had voted 'yes' in the Independence Referendum I don't believe a hard brexit, entailing an exit from the Customs Union, would have even been on the table. Just couldn't have happened.

But we are where we are. I personally feel the effects of Brexit, if it happens and if it's even remotely "hard", will be keenly -- and badly -- felt in Scotland and Northern Ireland (as well as everywhere else of course).

I think it has the potential; if Pro-Independence parties in Scotland and/or Republican parties in NI, play a blinder; to spark regional referenda within the next 5 years.

Whether the people of NI will vote for a united Ireland; or whether the Scottish people will vote for independence (and the potential for "border problems" of their own by then); is a whole other matter. But Brexit definitely lays the groundwork for further political upheaval.

==================================
NOTE: edited for spelling and clarity.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index