Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Ireland threatening to block Brexit deal ....

54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Ireland threatening to block Brexit deal ....
Jun 27, 2017, 21:05
carol27 wrote:
A " revolution " in this country Dhaji, as I'm sure you know, would mean the voting in of Jeremy Corbyn. In Ireland the threatening of the Good Friday agreement could lead to major unrest ( an extremely backward & cynical step committed by a pathetic, self interested government). Is civil unrest the same as revolution? What's the obsession with benefit recipients? Are they really all bone idle scroungers? Come on..

A "revolution" in this country Dhaji, as I'm sure you know, would mean the voting in of Jeremy Corbyn...

Sadly I'm not sure that would represent a revolution. Don't get me wrong; I'd swap the current UK government for Corbyn's Labour in a heartbeat. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a massive improvement. But I wouldn't consider him genuinely revolutionary.

For a start, I just can't get enthusiastic about any pro-brexit politician. In fact, brexit makes me so bloody angry (a sentiment shared by a fairly sizable majority here in Ireland, right across the political spectrum) I'm trying to avoid discussing it too much on the internet. So maybe I'll just skip that...

Aside from that though, Corbyn's got a lot going for him and he does have some genuinely Old School Left Wing policies in his manifesto, which is fantastic to see. But he's still -- for me -- a few pamphlets short of a full revolution (even given a metaphorical use of the word).

Again though, to reiterate - he's a big step in the right direction.

---------------------

PS: Appropriately enough, today's article at On This Deity (penned by yours truly... shameless self-promo :-) is about a revolutionary organisation formed almost the same time as the UK Labour Party, and one which shared most of the same goals.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index