U-Know! Forum »
Dear Eds

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Dear Eds
Jun 14, 2017, 20:15
Else, nige start your own threads whenever you see people start to respond to a dhaj-authored thread....

No, I don't want to do that, I just think things would work better if the Eds carried out a 9.5 year review. No-one could say the way things are currently are satisfactory.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 21:08
dhajjieboy wrote:
There's no slant at all.
I will let the content of those threads speak for themselves.

Me?
Intimidating?
What a laugh....
Shall i post a few compilations of the shit I've had leveled at just myself over the years...?
At least i can stand on my own two feet and not constantly seek approval for my own points of view.
And i don't either.

Please don't compile the shit you've had leveled at you - I've seen it and read and yes some of it seemed appalling - I don't know the history behind it though. I recall the discussion topic you started on Female Genital Mutilation which caused me to think about it a lot - then you went and locked it. Have no idea why.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=75999&offset=25

In spirit of discussion I will just mention I'm currently watching 'The Handmaid's Tale' (adapted from Margaret Atwood's novel written in the 1980s). It portrays a dystopia which seems relevant to today's world. Had you not locked your thread we may have been able to have a non-shouty discussion about it (there is a FGM incidence in episode 3).
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 22:50
I just suggested it because we're dealing with a guy who's been in the middle of a slow-burn bullying campaign here for years, and yet is pretty goshdarn good at making out like he's the injured party. The eds do know he was dodge one, right? If they permanently banned him, then shirley that carries over to dhaj two? Doesn't KC or Vybik or someone have some magical powers here?
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2017, 18:05
Jun 18, 2017, 18:04
Vybik possibly.

I'm just a... I dunno, another... person who keeps coming back.

Holey McGrail was an administrator, back a few years ago - having designed the site. He did post something in Unsung, a couple of months ago, so he is still around and possibly dipping in, but the last contact exchange/conversation I had with him was years ago. It wasn't exactly matey.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 10:43
I see you (presumably) have now locked a thread where there was a threat by someone to do so if things didn't stay on his topic. Good, all that remains is for the power to lock being made yours alone. IMO.

On a related issue: surely, going off topic shouldn't be grounds for locking by anyone? Can't anyone say anything, relevant or not? That's how it works in pubs. Imagine a garrulous opinionated individual in the corner objecting to contributions he alone deemed irrelevant! It was like that in the White Lion, Bridgnorth years ago and trust me it wasn't good.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 14:14
nigelswift wrote:
I see you (presumably) have now locked a thread where there was a threat by someone to do so if things didn't stay on his topic. Good, all that remains is for the power to lock being made yours alone. IMO.

On a related issue: surely, going off topic shouldn't be grounds for locking by anyone? Can't anyone say anything, relevant or not? That's how it works in pubs. Imagine a garrulous opinionated individual in the corner objecting to contributions he alone deemed irrelevant! It was like that in the White Lion, Bridgnorth years ago and trust me it wasn't good.

I have already mentioned to you before Nigel, that as you are ageing, you really seem to be losing the plot.
Their was no 'Threat' implied by me to LOCK the 'white helmets' thread...it was simply a promise that it would happen if comments about 'womans exploded clitoris's'{as a comedic context} kept cropping up.
To say nothing about the thread being swamped in RUSSIAN propaganda/misinformation links...
With all the current talk about Russian meddling in national elections, do you really think that wasn't happening in that thread?
I didn't realize until very recently how pernicious all that meddling has become....
I do believe that i very effectively demonstrated how all the posted links in that thread were of RUSSIAN origin...
If that is your brand of tea...well...i sure can't tell you what to drink.
The fact is, i watched that segment of 60 minutes the night before and was genuinely touched by the White helmets humanitarian efforts.
Regarding Moderation....well, every rational debate has and requires it. The debate teams i participated in as a lad had a moderator and sanctions as well for anyone that would dare to produce non-attributable evidence/source references into play.
You see, i'm still old school...Links to Russian horse shit propaganda sites would be so far beyond my personal code of ethics to produce here.....
Real facts come from far better vetted resources.
Encyclopedias, Journals, periodicals, respected {peer reviewed} journalists, Nobel prize award committees, Humanitarian organizations....you know, 'stuff' like that....
I just haven't found anything to sink my teeth into as far a RUSSIAN sourced links are concerned...and as far as i'm concerned if certain inscrutable elements conscript a thread with angels on it's side with such things, it is only right that it gets Locked up. Sensibility and all that.
There is quite alot to be said for Right/Wrong with no grey areas..one of the reasons that i love the 'Jeopardy' game show so much....there is no rhetoric/spin/fabrication/opinion.....it's just down to whether you Know the 'correct' answer or not.{and 'Moderated' by Alex Trebec too}
I love that.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 15:06
"Their was no 'Threat' implied by me to LOCK the 'white helmets' thread...it was simply a promise that it would happen if...."

I apologise.
I thought "Please respect my request...or i promise that YOU will certainly be the reason that yet another thread will be locked" was a threat. Silly me.
Must be my age.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 15:16
Yes....i noticed you didn't excerpt the quote that gave me cause to write that{i won't repeat it either..}....how very manipulative of you.

As i said...you seem to be losing the plot.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 15:22
nigelswift wrote:
"Their was no 'Threat' implied by me to LOCK the 'white helmets' thread...it was simply a promise that it would happen if...."

I apologise.
I thought "Please respect my request...or i promise that YOU will certainly be the reason that yet another thread will be locked" was a threat. Silly me.
Must be my age.

Actually, now that i think of it...it was a very accurate prophecy...that simply came to pass...only NOT by my hand...
Argue with yourself you old wind-bag.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 15:50
"you old wind-bag" ??!

It must be the heat again but I'm finding myself nostalgic for when you could derail a thread with proper barbs.

Anyway I fucking hate nostalgia. All that bloody keep calm and dress like you're going to a 40s tea dance whilst buying expensive retro rubbish. I can't help thinking it's a conspiracy of the government to keep us quiet under austerity.

It's all right I'll go home in a minute.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index