47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2017, 13:03
Re: The Day before Tomorrow
Jun 08, 2017, 12:58
"Decent people won't be affected as everyday common sense should tell you that any 'changes' she makes to the HR laws will have additions that deals with the problem without affecting others rights."

Or, the "If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear" argument that has been used for decades by right wing regimes as they remove basic human rights from their citizens.

You presumably disagreed with the quotes from Lord Bingham that I posted earlier, and the position taken by Amnesty International.

I know you don't like to hear the views of experts, but here's the view of former Director of Public Prosecutions Kier Starmer, who has been directly involved in prosecuting terrorists - something that I assume none of us, nor of those commenting on your Yahoo article, have done:

“There is no incompatibility between protecting human rights and taking effective action against terrorists,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“If we start throwing away our adherence to human rights in response to what has happened in the last three months, we are throwing away the values at the heart of the democracy,everything that we say we believe in.”

Starmer said he had never found human rights law a barrier to successful prosecutions of terrorists or those preparing acts of terrorism. “I know because I did it for five years,” he said. “We did not run into the Human Rights Act as a problem preventing successful prosecutions. We put a lot of people away for a very long time.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/07/keir-starmer-uk-human-rights-law-does-not-prevent-capture-of-terrorists

Edited for formatting
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index