Rhiannon wrote:
Are these people crazy

Yes.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Ivory Trade - no total ban
Jun 03, 2017, 21:01
Sin Agog wrote:
Eh up, trouble-stirring internet man! Managed to register for a homeless vote, which should mean my vote counts for every voting area of the UK at once. ;)

Glad to see you're making so many new friends!

Hey Ho !
It makes me very glad to think that I might have been the impetus that got you off your ass and actually voting.
Lip service don't count for much.
Friends...?
Do you really think it's friends I'm after on the internet?
Daft bugger.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 03, 2017, 21:12
Tories/Republicans
Labour/Democrats
Whats the difference?

I've always voted Democrat...
It doesn't represent my politics anymore.
And sure as eggs is eggs, neither does Trump.
I don't think the UK is any different than the USA for the most part...
Which is why I am pretty certain of how your next election is going to turn out.
I was 'dead' certain that Hillary would be our next president.
Think about that.
You all have much bigger issues ahead of you than finger-pointing....
That's the 'REAL' elephant in this room.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jun 03, 2017, 23:12
thesweetcheat wrote:
I'll be voting for hope not fear.

And this is the point. I've been accused of being both an 'idealist' and 'dreamer' in the last few days, simply because I believe a change in attitude is really what its about.
It is about hope, letting people see and feel that their existence means something, empowerment and self respect, that the people around them are decent too, that their most noble ideas are reflected by the government and society at large. I'd like young voters to realise the potential they have. It doesn't have to be like this, it's not naive to want a fairer society, to want peace, to want to look after the old, sick, the mentally ill, its not 'dreaming' to make sure nurses receive a decent salary, to look after the NHS, to consider fox hunting barbaric, to not want to kill millions of people with nuclear weapons. The frothing, aggressive tories in the question time audience wanted Corbyn to casually say he was quite happy to kill millions of people. Is this what it has come to? It has all gone too far, it has to stop, we truly cannot go on like this.
Of course the human condition is not all sweetness and light, but let us appeal to our higher thoughts. Lets do what we know to be right, lets ask the very wealthy to contribute more. It's simple and fair. Lets encourage anybody from any background into higher education without the fear of tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt. It's attitudes which need to change.
Why is it 'dreaming' to care? I won't be dismissed as a dreamer, i'll be using my vote to try to change things for the better. It may not be easy and it may take some time but you have to be at least on the right path, heading in the right direction.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 04, 2017, 09:47
dhajjieboy wrote:
Tories/Republicans
Labour/Democrats
Whats the difference?

What Labour is offering now is a huge step in a different direction. Not enough to undo 7 years of crippling Tory policies of austerity where the rich get richer, but a very real manifesto for change.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 04, 2017, 09:47
Applause.
veneta1
223 posts

Jun 04, 2017, 10:49
This is one of the best things I've read recently and echoes my thoughts and feelings exactly. Bravo!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ivory Trade Ban
Apr 03, 2018, 08:57
Sanctuary wrote:
For those who doubted the governments word with regard to banning the trade in Ivory because it was not in their 2017 manifesto, read this reply to me from the Conservative candidate for my area, Scott Mann. Makes perfect sense to me as it should to any reasonable person and not one out to cause trouble.

I've done my bit now so will move on...

Scott Mann

Today at 21:48

To roy goutte

Message body

Dear Roy,

Thank you for your email.

Although the 2017 manifesto does not explicitly repeat the 2015 pledge of banning all sales of ivory, this does not mean that a Conservative Government will stop its hard and important work in protecting elephants.

If a total ban were to be implemented, then this would stop the sale of items that contain ivory which are very old, such as antiques. Blocking the sale of such items would not necessarily have any effect on protecting elephants, and all efforts must be put into stopping the sale of new ivory which has been taken from elephants.

The 2017 manifesto therefore states that a Conservative Government would help and work with international organisations to protect the marine environment and endangered species around the world.

There is a global effort to clamp down on the ivory trade and protect elephants in Africa. The UK Government is committed to tackling the crisis facing the African elephant from poaching and illegal trafficking.

The Government has already allocated an additional £13 million to tackle Illegal Wildlife Trade (IWF) through a number of new initiatives to reduce demand, strengthen enforcement and develop sustainable livelihoods for communities affected by IWT.

This is likely to include expanded British Military training for African park rangers; additional funding for Interpol to expand its work with key nations, tracking and intercepting illegal shipments of ivory, rhino horn and other illegal wildlife products; and up to £4million for the International Consortium for Combatting Wildlife Crime.

China has the biggest ivory market in the world, and I like many was delighted to hear that the Chinese Government intends to implement a ban on all ivory trade activities by the end of this year.

This will significantly hinder the operations of poachers and sellers, and I really hope this global effort - which includes the UK - will secure the future of elephants in Africa.

Kind regards,
Oll an gwella

Scott Mann
Conservative Candidate for North Cornwall

T: 01208 74337 | E: [email protected]

www.scottmann.org.uk | www.facebook.com/therightmannfornorthcornwall | Twitter: @scottmannmp

As promised...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43620012
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 03, 2018, 09:42
Goodness me, May tried to prevent this as a favour to her friend who headed the ivory trading lobby and the change of heart is because the voters were appalled and confirmed they were in a recent consultation:

"The public is overwhelmingly behind a ban on the sale of ivory, it has emerged. There have been more than 60,000 responses to a public consultation on the Government's plans to ban the sale of ivory items, with the vast majority in favour of the prohibition".

That's all a matter of fact and denying it and labelling the rest of us who said so as "troublemakers" is consistent with your previous messages. Now wriggle out of it by attacking me and flouncing.....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 03, 2018, 14:40
nigelswift wrote:
Goodness me, May tried to prevent this as a favour to her friend who headed the ivory trading lobby and the change of heart is because the voters were appalled and confirmed they were in a recent consultation:

"The public is overwhelmingly behind a ban on the sale of ivory, it has emerged. There have been more than 60,000 responses to a public consultation on the Government's plans to ban the sale of ivory items, with the vast majority in favour of the prohibition".

That's all a matter of fact and denying it and labelling the rest of us who said so as "troublemakers" is consistent with your previous messages. Now wriggle out of it by attacking me and flouncing.....

The problem you have Nigel (aside from stirring things up) is that you are only interested in reading the bits that suit you and overlooking the rest. Mrs May has said quite clearly that they would look at the situation and consult various bodies. They have done that and this latest news is the outcome.
You need to get yourself a life because even when the good happens (which you wanted I'll add) you still find a way to put people down.

Now please - do us all a favour and go away like a good chap.

Thanks in advance.

Bye
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index