Brexit and the UK food industry.

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Brexit and the UK food industry.
May 21, 2017, 18:19
Informative article about EU workers who are a vital part of the UK food industry. Makes the obvious point that these workers are not "stealing our jobs" but are doing work that British people don't want to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/21/brexit-coming-food-crisis-seasonal-migrant-labour-eu#img-1
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited May 23, 2017, 20:41
Re: Brexit and the UK food industry.
May 23, 2017, 20:40
Let's hope the skewed "free EU market" which means that dairy and cheese production can be completely shut down or regularly threatened with complete shut down on Scottish Islands like Bute, Arran and Islay will end with Brexit. Perhaps then it will no longer be cheaper to drive and ship milk and cheddar into England, Wales and Scotland from Poland and other far-flung EU countries. Simply sharpening the end of the pointy stick used to drive the "free EU market" cannot be the way forward for jobs in farming and agriculture of the UK - either for consumers, employees or livestock.

http://www.buteman.co.uk/news/rothesay-creamery-set-to-cease-production-1-369394

http://www.arranbanner.co.uk/tag/kilmory

This Grauniad article presents a good overview of what has happened to the UK Dairy Industry under EU and Supermarket/ FirstMilk stewardship over the last 20 years. This is worth a read. The raw milk story of Mr Hook is very compelling for those who think that Brexit and an escape from "free EU market" regulation means a loss of jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/02/-sp-battle-soul-british-milk

The way ahead just might NOT be indoor dairy herds of 5,000 kept in huge sheds all their lives so that EU lovers can enjoy milk a penny cheaper each year from cows that (each) have an average of 11,500 litres of milk squeezed out of them in a year in the shed. That kind of "free EU market" vision of farming and agriculture is only heading one way. Ooops! Oh yeah... that kind of "free EU market" has already reached its destination in the UK.

I can drive for twenty miles in fields of pasture round these parts and not see a single dairy herd. Grim.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 24, 2017, 07:00
As part of my day job I talk to a lot of farmers who are terrified about leaving the EU as the removal of EU subsidies will mean a lot of them will go out of business
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited May 24, 2017, 07:49
May 24, 2017, 07:37
Captain Starlet wrote:
As part of my day job I talk to a lot of farmers who are terrified about leaving the EU as the removal of EU subsidies will mean a lot of them will go out of business

I don't just talk to farmers here in Cornwall, I live amongst them - 100's of them, as I am in the heart of farming country.

This is what my own North Cornwall Tory candidate has to say on the matter. Of course being a tory he will be a natural liar with all the candidates from the other parties being whiter than white! LOL

https://www.scottmann.org.uk/news/scott-brexit-means-we-need-british-agricultural-policy-farming

PS
And this where you will note that the vote for leaving the EU in North Cornwall was 60-40 in favour of leaving in what is predominantly farming country.

https://www.scottmann.org.uk/campaigns/brexit-north-cornwall
Rhiannon
5290 posts

May 24, 2017, 08:25
Sanctuary, please do point to the part of that article where he explains what will happen when all the foreign workers leave and what his party's solution is. Because I don't see anything that mentions the subject and I assume your link is a riposte to our ungrounded fears having read that guardian article? Perhaps not.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited May 24, 2017, 09:06
May 24, 2017, 09:03
Rhiannon wrote:
Sanctuary, please do point to the part of that article where he explains what will happen when all the foreign workers leave and what his party's solution is. Because I don't see anything that mentions the subject and I assume your link is a riposte to our ungrounded fears having read that guardian article? Perhaps not.

Mine was just a basic post Rhiannon with no hidden agenda, just reporting what my local man says on the matter. No need to read into anything and I have not read any Guardian articles so don't shoot the messenger.

To make things quite clear. I am not a tory and really have no interest in politics as I have a life to lead. I only join in to try and gain a level playing field so that others may be encouraged to join in otherwise this forum is lambasted with hate for the tory party and nothing else.

What would be nice though would be to hear what all you amateur 'experts' on politics would have in YOUR manifestos and how you would resolve our countries problems post Brexit - and where you will find the money to do it without taking anything away from the poor and needy further.

Off you all go then and let's see those manifesto's. That's your challenge for the day. Put your money where your mouths are!

I'll be out fishing on a beautiful lake while you are doing that.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 24, 2017, 10:06
May 24, 2017, 09:31
Sanctuary wrote:
how you would resolve our countries problems post Brexit - and where you will find the money to do it without taking anything away from the poor and needy further.

That's a confession not a question.

Of COURSE there's not enough money to fix things as a result of Brexit and of COURSE the poor and needy will suffer most - and that includes Cornwall and its farmers. Don't ask us for a painless solution for a disaster we didn't vote for and you did. That's up to you. Maybe you'll find the answer on the side of a bus?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 24, 2017, 10:10
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
how you would resolve our countries problems post Brexit - and where you will find the money to do it without taking anything away from the poor and needy further.

Of COURSE there's not enough money to fix things as a result of Brexit and of COURSE the poor and needy will suffer most - and that includes Cornwall and its farmers. Don't ask us for a painless solution for a disaster we didn't vote for. That's up to you.

FAIL
As usual all gob but no action when push comes to shove.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 24, 2017, 10:12
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Sez the Grand Inquisitor.....
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 24, 2017, 10:19
I've already asked for what "The Left" considers it's manifesto in the 'other' thread...
was given a snippet from the 'labor' party manifesto...
You ain't gonna get what your looking for here.
Hint:
The 'left' aint 'left' anymore.
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index