Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Another Election
Apr 21, 2017, 10:16
A 'coalition' as you describe would be a nightmare indeed.
The SNP will never be your friend, they do not want the UK to succeed in any way they want it to fail. Remember that. If the vote in 'England' dictates the outcome I will say to that, thank you. I mean it sincerely.
This election ain't even about politics in any 'class tribalism' sense like it ought to be, it's more urgent than that, and not nearly as pleasant.
On a lighter note, I feel too many are taken by the guttural, glottal stop in the way Sturgeon pronounces *Toareez*.
Jesus Christ she really hates them!
That's just how we speak up here, believe me, like so many others, her folks were one of many to benefit from the great council house grab in the 80s, courtesy of the hated *Toareez*.
In fact its 'everywhere' up here.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 10:20
Captain Starlet wrote:
Can't say I'm overly surprised about today's call for a GE, even cameron didn't want to take on the obvious fiasco that was brexit and May's just shown how weak her hand is. Will this change anything? Doubtful, I don't believe Corbyn has enough public support to win a GE outright, but there maybe the option of coalitions.

In the meantime there's local elections which will be slightly more entertaining!

In local elections you are able to vote for the issue, here in North Yorks it is fracking, so my vote will go to a liberal (not liberal democrat) who fights against it. Our MP conservative Hollincrake, is for fracking of course.
Never in my life have I voted conservative, neither labour nor liberal. Green politics are what I stick to, even if I am throwing away a vote. Two words all political parties need to give up 'growth' and the 'economy', this is what is destroying the planet we live on.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 11:23
sanshee wrote:
What's using a term like a 'bowler hatted unionist' Drew if it's not intended to 'fight' with someone?
You do know over 2.1m Scots decided to stay with the union?
Are there 2.1m bowler hats?
Really?

People choose their allies. Personally I would never campaign with far right wing groups.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2017, 11:30
Apr 21, 2017, 11:29
sanshee wrote:
The SNP will never be your friend, they do not want the UK to succeed in any way they want it to fail. Remember that. If the vote in 'England' dictates the outcome I will say to that, thank you. I mean it sincerely.
This election ain't even about politics in any 'class tribalism' sense like it ought to be, it's more urgent than that, and not nearly as pleasant.
On a lighter note, I feel too many are taken by the guttural, glottal stop in the way Sturgeon pronounces *Toareez*.
That's just how we speak up here, believe me, like so many others, her folks were one of many to benefit from the great council house grab in the 80s, courtesy of the hated *Toareez*.

It can't be everywhere I haven't noticed. Sturgeon, tho I disagree with a lot she has to say, doesn't hate as you say, she disagrees and would like to debate but the Conservative & Unionist Party leader seems to scared to debate with Wood, Lucas, Sturgeon, Corbyn etc

Still the loss of jobs in the whisky industry must be a source of joy for the Brexiteers/Vote No. Shameful :-(
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2017, 11:30
Apr 21, 2017, 11:29
Drew, you just sound as bigoted as the 'bowler hat wearers'.
You've complained about the 'scourge of sectarianism' up here but sadly you seem drawn to it too, your moniker even suggests that.
I never paid attention to any of it, to me it's all *bullshit*, it's a sad, sad way to define yourself.
*Two sides of the same coin*.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 11:33
sanshee wrote:
Drew, you just sound as bigoted as the 'bowler hat wearers'.
You've complained about the 'scourge of sectarianism' up here but sadly you seem drawn to it too, your moniker even suggests that.
I never paid attention to any of it, to me it's all *bullshit*, it's a sad, sad way to define yourself.
*Two sides of the same coin*.

What has football got to do with anything! (part of my job is being an organist at the local Church Of Scotland, blows your argument clean out of the water)
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 11:35
drewbhoy wrote:

sanshee"
wrote:

It can't be everywhere I haven't noticed. Sturgeon, tho I disagree with a lot she has to say, doesn't hate as you say, she disagrees and would like to debate but the Conservative & Unionist Party leader seems to scared to debate with Wood, Lucas, Sturgeon, Corbyn etc

Still the loss of jobs in the whisky industry must be a source of joy for the Brexiteers/Vote No. Shameful :-(

It can't be everywhere?
What can't?
There's barely a council house left in Scotland!
Get real, please.
As for these TV debates, anyone with a modicum of critical faculty really ought to consider it might just be one big procession of polished turds.
That's what I always thought anyway.
Scotland's economy is tanking compared the that of the rest of the UK, has been since before the Brexit vote.
We've had SNP for 10 years now.
Wonder if there's a connection.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 11:40
Your mention of 'bowler hatted unionists', broad sweeping and depressingly 'sectarian'.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2017, 14:15
Apr 21, 2017, 13:19
thesweetcheat wrote:

Everyone is falling for it, it seems.

Not me tsc. Much to Moss’ irritation I spend way too much time listening to, watching and reading the news - both the sensible and the non-sensible bits, before settling on a direction of travel. One thing has become abundantly clear to me over the last few years though and it is this; a lot of people will form opinions on what they want to believe rather than what the facts are actually telling them. It’s the ‘Emperor has no Clothes’ syndrome.

The Brexiteers will tell you that a brave new vision for the country lies ahead once we leave the EU. I don’t know if that will happen but given my many years spent living in Japan I can tell you that an island nation similar to our own is quite capable of forging its own destiny - quite capable. Ditto South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore. Of course those places have their problems but the point is that they’re not (with the now sad exception of Hong Kong) beholden to a large trading block like the EU. So, to the Remainers on this forum and elsewhere, I would ask this – what exactly are the benefits of belonging to the EU? Can you please not only outline those benefits but also show how we, as an independent sovereign nation, could not, under our own political/democratic checks and balances, achieve the same benefits.

To drewbhoy; I fully support Scottish independence. Ditto independence for Wales if they want it and the unification of Ireland. In my 70 years plus on this planet I’ve seen too many cultures assimilated by their big brother neighbours. And before I was born even more so. Indigenous peoples supressed, sometimes totally obliterated. Languages lost, cultures wiped away. The erosion sometimes takes place in a matter of a few years, sometimes it’s inch-by-inch over decades (Hawaii and Tibet to name just two) and all in the name of a ‘useful’ uniformity.

So, to those who want a ‘useful’ EU uniformity, I’ll ask you this – do you really want to see the day when there are no more pounds in our pockets, no more miles to travel because there’ll only be kilometres on our road signs? No more pints of milk on your doorstep (and yes, there are still parts of the country where pints of milk are left on the doorstep and Moss and I are fortunate to live in one). These things may be simple and to some unimportant examples of what uniformity means but they are symptomatic of a wider and much more insidious trend.

If you think I’m fantasising think again. After the Pacific War Japan decided to abandon its centuries-old weights and measures system and adopt the metric system. That included everything from how houses were designed and built, textiles were woven, paper was made and food was weighed. Everything. For a few years there was chaos until the law was eventually repealed. Architecture, crafts etc are now allowed to use the traditional weights and measures system. A tradition relating to the human form, not to some conjured up abstract measurement, has been reinstated with the result that Japanese culture is the richer for it.

So think carefully before you take the road to uniformity and the bland destination it offers. For feck’s sake, go down that road and in fifty years time we’ll all be speaking fecking Esperanto. ;-)
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 13:43
I asked the same question years ago...
"is individual culture worth preserving?"
Apparently, the very notion is now flippantly regarded as 'Nationalism' or 'Racism'.....
Or was told by the bobble headed masses that it's now a 'global economy'...'just deal with it'.
Sigh....
I guess i just gotta' get with the 'program'.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index