Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 129 30 31 32 33 34 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Manifesto
May 18, 2017, 09:11
Now the main parties have publised their manifestos, hopefully voters will judge their policies not rhetoric.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Manifesto
May 18, 2017, 09:16
thesweetcheat wrote:
Now the main parties have publised their manifestos, hopefully voters will judge their policies not rhetoric.

Next time around much more likely once Brexit is done and dusted.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 18, 2017, 09:35
It's pretty clear the Tories are using their dominant position to push through unpopular stuff like hitting pensioners at last (a hit which I'm personally willing to accept is just) but why the stuff about limiting immigration to a few tens of thousands? Everyone except the economically illiterate and dedicated racists know that will be unwise, surely? Hit the pensioners and pander to the uninformed and racists seems a muddled strategy.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 18, 2017, 10:01
nigelswift wrote:
It's pretty clear the Tories are using their dominant position to push through unpopular stuff like hitting pensioners at last (a hit which I'm personally willing to accept is just) but why the stuff about limiting immigration to a few tens of thousands? Everyone except the economically illiterate and dedicated racists know that will be unwise, surely? Hit the pensioners and pander to the uninformed and racists seems a muddled strategy.

The public will decide. Like you and I they have considered and probably made their choices already. Branding people who disagree with your point of view economically illiterate and dedicated racists gains you no respect whatsoever and rightly so.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 18, 2017, 10:10
Well, a degree in economics and no degree of racism certainly gives me a "point of view".

I await, with baited breath, to hear anyone explain how resticting immigration to a few tens of thousands ISN'T bad for the economy or deeply racist or both.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 18, 2017, 13:24
So Brexit blinds people to any other policies, to deep inequalities, complete mishandling of the economy and deliberate destruction of the NHS and welfare state. Exactly what May and the right were counting on when they called this election.

They've successfully tapped into a particular strain of monomaniac obsession here haven't they? While you worry about the awful Europeans and other foreigners, the Tories are quietly destroying everything good about this country.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 18, 2017, 13:31
I wouldn't worry, the racists betray themselves with their own words generally. And the idea that this government is economically competent is easily shown up by statistics, but one obvious theme is that the right don't want to present or consider facts, only their own narrative.

Facts get in the way of their story, as facts clearly show the Tories to have borrowed more than any other government in history, taxed low and middle earners more than Labour and all the while cut services to the bone. Begging the question they won't answer: "where's the money gone?"
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 18, 2017, 18:56
Tory manifesto is pro-fracking: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-conservatives-fracking-party-manifesto-tory-gas-shale-domestic-enivronment-a7742496.html.

Do you really want to give free reign to this because you don't think anything else matters until Brexit is "done and dusted" (which could easily take a decade)? How much damage to the environment do you reckon could be done in that timescale?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Another Election
May 19, 2017, 07:57
Another Brexit promise broken ...
Britain won't leave the human rights court.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-would-not-leave-human-rights-court-if-conservatives-re-elected-3rpblw9zp
Good. That was one of the most ominous proposals of all.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: Another Election
May 19, 2017, 08:38
That's amazing. That is good news.

Elsewhere - isn't it nice that people without independent incomes will be able to take a whole year off work upaid to care for their friends and relations. They'll be able to do that no problem. See how caring Ms May is. What a load of bunkum, has a moment's thought gone into wondering how that would work? And most people don't need a year like that, they need ongoing bits of time here and there. Interested in working people's concerns my eye, they don't even understand what working for a living means.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 129 30 31 32 33 34 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index