Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Hunting Act
May 10, 2017, 18:09
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hunt masters see a big Tory majority as an opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/this-could-chance-weve-been-10383290

Sorry, but as much as I loathe fox hunting as well as the next decent person would, it is Manky Mancroft that is urging the hunt masters on and not the Hunt Masters themselves as you incorrectly claim.
Some may do some may not, but let's have it right to start with instead of trying to score points unfairly...Don't jump the gun, that's all I'm saying!

'The email, sent to hunts across the country by Tory peer Lord Mancroft, urges hunt masters to “mobilise supporters” and campaign for pro-hunting Tories in marginal seats'.

I didn't use the word "urging" in my post, nor did I say who was doing what, you've added all that bit in yourself. You do have a tendency to use emotive words that I haven't used like "evil" and "hatred" in your replies to me, as if to suggest that's my language rather than yours.

But really this is semantics, especially now May has explicitly stated that she supports fox hunting. It seems pretty obvious that hunt masters will see a big Tory majority as an opportunity to repeal the Act, given their endless lobbying for exactly that since 2004, not to mention many hunts continuing to flagrantly break the law and let their dogs kill foxes.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 10, 2017, 18:24
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hunt masters see a big Tory majority as an opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act:

Sorry, but as much as I loathe fox hunting as well as the next decent person would, it is Manky Mancroft that is urging the hunt masters on and not the Hunt Masters themselves as you incorrectly claim.
Some may do some may not, but let's have it right to start with instead of trying to score points unfairly...Don't jump the gun, that's all I'm saying!

'The email, sent to hunts across the country by Tory peer Lord Mancroft, urges hunt masters to “mobilise supporters” and campaign for pro-hunting Tories in marginal seats'.

I didn't use the word "urging" in my post, nor did I say who was doing what, you've added all that bit in yourself. You do have a tendency to use emotive words that I haven't used like "evil" and "hatred" in your replies to me, as if to suggest that's my language rather than yours.

But really this is semantics, especially now May has explicitly stated that she supports fox hunting. It seems pretty obvious that hunt masters will see a big Tory majority as an opportunity to repeal the Act, given their endless lobbying for exactly that since 2004, not to mention many hunts continuing to flagrantly break the law and let their dogs kill foxes.

Another cop out..
You used a link to state your case. Read it properly and stop points scoring until what you are claiming is true. It was Mancroft that is stirring the sh1t not the hunt masters - yet! You used the link so their words become your words also.
Theresa May does support fox hunting which is a shame but it doesn't follow that she is going to go against what the public voted for (84%). Stop jumping the gun and trying to influence people again and wait and see.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 10, 2017, 19:22
Sanctuary wrote:
I loathe fox hunting as well as the next decent person would

Sanctuary wrote:
Theresa May does support fox hunting

Ergo ...
Jeez
98 posts

Re: Another Election
May 10, 2017, 19:25
The Establishment gets away with it again.

Sitting government government behaves in a probably illegal, underhand, anti-democratic way to bias the votes in an election, and retain power.
The Establishment lets them off the hook on a technicality because we can't have the Government in power recognised as officially corrupt.
Unofficially corrupt is OK, because they can get away with that and still legislate.

No wonder nobody has any faith in Politics or Authority any more. May knows her party has done wrong - everyone knows it - yet she sticks her fingers in her ears and says "La La La La La - can't hear you - didn't happen".

Just add this one to the shitlist of the establishment fixes and escapes, and don't ask any more why people don't bother voting.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

May 10, 2017, 19:54
As you like, you can see exactly what I actually wrote as well as anyone else can.

The important thing is that we both agree that no decent person would be a supporter of fox hunting.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 10, 2017, 21:33
May 10, 2017, 20:52
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Why are you defending the hunt masters anyway - when many of them have been flouting the law for years. I have some friends who volunteer in a north Wiltshire wood so have it on good authority the hounds often chase a fox through that wood. Pretty much the same in Gloucestershire as I've witnessed myself when out walking. Theresa May is hoping for a large majority of MPs after the GE. Therefore if there is a free vote in the House of Commons to repeal the Hunting Act, and she is on record saying there will be, the Hunting Act will be repealed. A travesty in my opinion and definitely not representing the 'will of the people'. Just the will of the rural wealthy ... again. Hunting with dogs for sport is obscene and immoral.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

May 10, 2017, 22:34
Exactly, that's definitely the case here. Our MP is backed by pro-fox hunting lobbying landowners, he knows which side his bread is buttered on.

But we have to make sure were not "unfair" to Theresa, or trying to "influence" anyone, that would never do. The fact that the Tories have lied and lied already since the election was announced is fine though.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 11, 2017, 07:25
thesweetcheat wrote:
we have to make sure were not "unfair" to Theresa

As to that, we can be sure the reality of the new enabling Act will be slightly disguised, with mention of provisions to prevent "abuses", that's how the Tories (and to be fair, all parties) operate. But the bitter truth is that it's the 21st Century, this is an advanced Western society, and she's going to enable intelligent wild mammals to be torn limb from limb for fun.

TMA/U-Know is supposed to be a broad church with all views considered valid, yet I find it pretty distasteful to be in a forum which contains a recommendation that we should stop jumping the gun on the subject. Jeez, Theresa May and the hunting lobby are grabbing the chance to act like fucking barbarians. Extending them the courtesy of saying we should "wait and see" is grotesque and unworthy of this place.

IMHO.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

something by Noam Chomsky
May 11, 2017, 10:07
I do love Noam Chomsky. It's a wonder he hasn't met some Mysterious End considering the things he says. Not that he gets much airtime so most people wouldn't have heard of him. Plus we all know ignorance is as valid as intelligent thought these days.

Here's a little article from today's paper
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/10/labour-partys-future-lies-with-momentum-says-noam-chomsky

He mentions how anti-Corbyn the media has been. And how him being "quiet, reserved, serious, he’s not a performer" doesn't suit the current electorate. Which is funny really, because that makes him sound very British. But perhaps the British now watch too much X factor.

Also that Sanders in America and Corbyn are part of the reaction against the failures of 'neoliberal policies' just like the rise of Farage and Trump.

anyway there we are. nice to hear his take on recent events
Rhiannon
5290 posts

and this, about slogans in politics
May 11, 2017, 10:18
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/10/strong-and-stable-leadership-could-theresa-mays-rhetorical-carpet-bombing-backfire

ooh I thought this was very interesting

about the infuriating endless repetition of That Phrase (which apparently only 15% of the electorate are even aware of, curiously, you'd think it had got everywhere) - that although these things are made to sink into people's subconscious, they also run the risk of sounding totally inauthentic, which people hate.

I thought this was pretty amusing, that SNP’s John Nicolson called out Karen Bradley on it. She said “Who do the British public want to be leader, strong and stable leadership with Theresa May, or a coalition of chaos with Jeremy Corbyn?” and he said “Karen, you’re the secretary of state for culture, you’re supposed to be interested in language, you have to come out with better lines than that. Karen, those lines were written for you. ‘Strong and stable leadership’ and ‘coalition of chaos’, and it really … it’s like being with the Stepford wives, the way politicians from the Conservative party keep churning out the lines.”
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 126 27 28 29 30 31 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index