U-Know! Forum »
Irony

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Irony
Mar 20, 2017, 19:40
Sorry, when I said "If it came to a straight choice between England leaving Scotland and England leaving Europe I'd vote for leaving Scotland" I wasn't trying to make a point of constitutional law I was saying that for me personally being a European citizen is far more important than being a United Kingdom citizen, nothing more.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 08:20
nigelswift wrote:
Sorry, when I said "If it came to a straight choice between England leaving Scotland and England leaving Europe I'd vote for leaving Scotland" I wasn't trying to make a point of constitutional law I was saying that for me personally being a European citizen is far more important than being a United Kingdom citizen, nothing more.

Well, as J P Donleavy once said "Wherever you are, there you go."

Funny, but the people of Scotland seem to be looking to exit the UK and find some way of continuing links with the EU in some form or other. The Europy will still want our Whisky, Beer, Barley, Carrots and Salmon.

But maybe England should consider leaving Great Britain and revoking the Treaty of Union they signed in 1706. Some Independence might clarify things a little for them.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2017, 10:59
Mar 21, 2017, 09:21
The people of Scotland, when polled, and we must be the most polled nation on the planet, continually reject your claim.
Just because you say it all the time, don't make it true.
Look at the petition, especially the NE.
They only ever vote SNP there to keep Labour out, quite clearly.
People up here vote SNP not for the 'dream of independence' but the free prescriptions, the oldies for the free Scotland wide bus travel, maybe even the free tuition.
However, the SNP have scored a spectacular own goal there, if they hope their rictus anger will encourage Scots to join in, they are up a gum tree. Why forfeit all that by risking independence?
Now I never vote for them, but in bribing people they have got themselves in a bind.
You rely on the SNP to deliver something for you, you got no chance.
EDIT: Mean to add this earlier.
Today and tomorrow's screeching match at Holyrood will be designed to whip up 'Scottish anger'.
Now SNP know the majority do not want another referendum.
However according to a logic that can only exist in their unfathomable brains, when they are denied one, which they will be, that is supposed to make enough of us angry enough to demand one.
Good luck with that.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 11:23
sanshee wrote:
People up here vote SNP not for the 'dream of independence' but the free prescriptions, the oldies for the free Scotland wide bus travel, maybe even the free tuition.

But will Scotland in a post-Brexit UK be able to afford any of those?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2017, 11:44
Mar 21, 2017, 11:42
nigelswift wrote:

sanshee wrote:

But will Scotland in a post-Brexit UK be able to afford any of those?

Well it's under the UK system, what they call the 'Barnett Formula' that's happening right now.
Now could be the raging deficit up here and decline in revenues is somehow sorted out by splitting from the UK but I don't think the majority want to take that risk.
There was a debate in Holyrood regards decriminalising euthanasia, I think for SNP to get more support for their *indyref* they'll have to make it compulsory.
Besides, there is a cultural pull from the majority too.
I recall Jerry Dammers speaking about the inspiration for 'Ghost Town'.
After a gig at Glasgow Barrowlands, he saw people's furniture being chucked out on the streets through evictions.
He wrote it for 'the whole country'.
That matters not only to me, but the majority, please take that on board.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 12:04
"Now could be the raging deficit up here and decline in revenues is somehow sorted out by splitting from the UK but I don't think the majority want to take that risk."

But if the UK cake is going to be smaller ... ?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 12:18
Nigel I don't know what's going to happen, neither do you.
Brussels isn't going to offer Scotland anything special, and Scotland out of the UK isn't going to be connected to anything.
This recent push of Sturgeon's isn't about anything other than the realisation come the next GE they've got nothing to offer anybody.
Minds will be concentrated on who can deliver the best UK govt post Brexit.
SNP want the UK as an entity to fail, so they're out of the picture.
Hopefully Labour will have their act together, something the SNP actually fear.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 13:42
sanshee wrote:
Nigel I don't know what's going to happen, neither do you.

I have a suspicion though. Something along the lines of a piss-poor exit settlement, a poorer country and the self-seeking knobs who led the Brexit campaign all consigned to the dustbin of history, too late.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 14:59
I think whatever we will be alright.
No one is getting booted out the country, it's in everyone's interest, all the other 27, for their own reputations as much as anything else.
But please, my initial point stands.
Piling uncertainty on top of uncertainty is in no one's interest.
SNP are just running around trying to take a blowtorch to the whole lot because they know this will spell the end for them.
Maybe Scotland and England needed this little row, I don't know, 307 year itch (as in 2014 ref).
But we'll be alright, I am sure of it.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 16:20
sanshee wrote:

The people of Scotland continually reject your claim.
Just because you say it all the time, don't make it true.
Good luck with that.
You rely on the SNP to deliver something for you, you got no chance.

What claim? I have made no claim about anything.

I don't say anything all the time.

What isn't true?

Good luck with what?

The SNP have delivered a system of good governance in Scotland since they were voted into power by the People of Scotland. The cold dead hand of Labour did NOTHING for decades and the Tories shut down every part of our Industry and sold off all of our sellable assetts.

Please explain...
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index