Hey, guess what

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Re: Hey, guess what
Oct 07, 2016, 11:14
Terrible news!

We should keep the reserves in place until the UK suffers from energy supply issues then use it to keep the lights on, our homes warm and industry turning. It's being terribly mismanaged now, imho.

By then, perhaps the insane & inane dribblings of the Watermelons may give way to some common sense over the issue of frac'ing. One can only hope...
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2016, 10:05
Oct 09, 2016, 09:53
Fossil fuels were seen as a good idea in the UK through the industrial revolution. Total pollution. Remember Coal not Dole? Fracking is worth looking into. Why not? The good thing is, that it brings down oil prices. And oil prices have created too many economic wars, hence less people being exploited and killed. It's makes economic sense, if the landscape is protected.

Nuclear energy is cheaper too. The cold war is over.
carol27
747 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 17:38
Markoid wrote:
Fossil fuels were seen as a good idea in the UK through the industrial revolution. Total pollution. Remember Coal not Dole? Fracking is worth looking into. Why not? The good thing is, that it brings down oil prices. And oil prices have created too many economic wars, hence less people being exploited and killed. It's makes economic sense, if the landscape is protected.

That maybe so but experiences abroad re fracking don't seem to be that positive so far. That's not really my whole point though. The fact is that fracking in Lancashire was vetoed twice by the County Council ( democratically), & has been widely protested by folks thereabout & this has been utterly disregarded & bulldozed through..now if the supporters of fracking (more particularly in the political skein ) want the experiment to occur in their back yard, so be it. But they don't seem to be suggesting that in the Home Counties do they?
I'm a bit surprised with you Markoid, seeing as Scotland has been so radically shafted in the past. You know, it doesn't matter Blackpool & environs. They're either too desperate for work, or out of it, to matter. Let's experiment. Chip on my shoulder, moi?
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 17:50
carol27 wrote:
Markoid wrote:

That maybe so but experiences abroad re fracking don't seem to be that positive so far. That's not really my whole point though. The fact is that fracking in Lancashire was vetoed twice by the County Council ( democratically), & has been widely protested by folks thereabout & this has been utterly disregarded & bulldozed through..now if the supporters of fracking (more particularly in the political skein ) want the experiment to occur in their back yard, so be it. But they don't seem to be suggesting that in the Home Counties do they?
I'm a bit surprised with you Markoid, seeing as Scotland has been so radically shafted in the past. You know, it doesn't matter Blackpool & environs. They're either too desperate for work, or out of it, to matter. Let's experiment. Chip on my shoulder, moi?

Not really. There seems a huge annoyance about windfarms, but when I take the train home, they're everywhere. It does spoil the landscape, but I don't see The Greens complaining.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 18:50
Fracking has been proven in the states as an environmental disaster. Nuclear power isn't cheap when tidal power is far cheaper and even more reliable with a higher job creation ratio. The idiotic Hinkley project is a prime example, by the time it'll be completed (assuming IF it's completed) the power generated will be too expensive to be cost effective.
carol27
747 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 19:20
Captain has far more knowledge than me on this subject( & others come to that.) I'm very simplistic. I don't want a potentially disastrous nuclear facility on my doorstep, ( having already lived through the horror stories about Windscale )nor a cynically considered fracking experiment on my doorstep. Now, i & many others, & my County Council have voted against this, twice. There appear to be some people in Govt.not to mention big business who advocate this energy supply. If, they're so confident in its safety & viability explore it round about where they live. I'm astonished that you can't see the utter disregard & contempt in which a democratic vote has been treated. As I've already stated LCC obviously gave the wrong answer. Beep...wrong.
I also am beginning to find the wind turbines quite attractive. I'd like to paint them different colours though. I like a windmill :)
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 19:27
When my family used to live up Lincolnshire we drove past lots of windmills. Never been inside one. Can't even think of where one is locally now.

I live on the cusp of South Wales, the glorious Newport, which would be very close to where the Hinkley plant would be built. I have a friend there now who's involved with the clean up of the old site, it's basically life threatening and there's areas that no one's allowed still. With the new plant they'll be using a new type of reactor which is known to have weak spots, thus creating a severe risk of leaking, which would not only cost untold environmental damage but also human life as well

If you live by Sellafield, don't read this:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530053-800-shocking-state-of-worlds-riskiest-nuclear-waste-site/

Here's a piece on Hinkley and why it's a total waste of money and potential

https://medium.com/@tomstanger/time-to-ditch-the-hinkley-white-elephant-89e08363372d#.b44q8juao
carol27
747 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2016, 19:50
Oct 09, 2016, 19:44
Sorry Captain my previous post obviously wasn't a reply to your post. It's about time I got a handle on this:) An old friend of mine, now in his 70s remembers his father telling him that he used to sweep up "waste" at Windscale, with a broom; completely unprotected of course. Needless to say he died of cancer, but then plenty of us do, nuclear power station or not.
Windscale now being sanatised by its other name Sellafield, of course. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, as per.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2016, 03:30
Oct 09, 2016, 20:44
I live in a city. Hardly eat. Only drink red wine. No sprogs. Even worse. I don't drive a fucking car. Kids are the worst polluters ever. Go fuck yerselfs. Like China.
carol27
747 posts

Oct 09, 2016, 22:26
Oh, stop getting so het up Markoid:)
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index