Jeremy Corbyn

Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: It gets better
Aug 07, 2015, 20:14
As mentioned elsewhere in this excellent thread, the window has shifted way to the right since the late 70s. But it can be pulled back - the strength of support for Corbyn during these last few weeks has been truly heartwarming.

I'd love the think that there's a genuine grassroots reaction that can be captured and can have real influence in shaping the fightback against the politics of austerity and failing capitalism. The SNP have proven that a possibility can become a reality, if you have a strong enough message to inspire enough people.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 00:10
Over 140000 new party members. That's a lot of new 'domestic extremists' for GCHQ etc to sniff at. Wish I was entirely joking. Another facet of the state we live in today I'd like him to purge if he were to make it to PM, woodland walks and mountain climbing willing. On a less jaundiced note, have just watched The Last Leg on C4, featuring three 'comics' and Bill Bailey, the latter a Labour supporter, who said Corbyn would get his vote and praised his "principle over pragmatism" beliefs. There followed a viewer twitterpoll to see which of the candidates got most support. Corbyn: 84% : D
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Edgar Broughton says..
Aug 08, 2015, 00:36
http://thefirstsupper.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-battle-for-labourleadership-is-on.html?m=1
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 06:50
carol27 wrote:
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I'm looking forward to the ballot papers arriving. Not long now.

Me too.

Odd feeling being told off by the assistant editor of the New Statesman for not suffering enough under the Tories and therefore not having the right to want to risk Labour running a Corbyn-led campaign in 2020.

I used to like that RA Wilson quote about people moving from liberal to conservative in 20 years without changing a single opinion.

Seems I have inexplicably shifted from left to hard left in 5 years. My opinions have stayed pretty constant yet now only the Morning Star speaks to me and I feel pilloried by much of what passes for comment in the Grauniad and NS. FFS! How did it come to this?

It's called being true to yourself & not being blinded by the bullshit. It means you're alive & you should know there are a lot more people out there who feel the same; they're just a bit defeated by it all(ie me.) I'm full of admiration. Your eloquence, truthfulness & succinctness is bloody great. I've joined the Labour party & so have my sons.

Cheers! That's brilliant. I have bored everyone I know into submission on this subject! Our family are split down the middle on JC so good to hear there is some solidarity in your house.
Questionmark
3 posts

Re: Jeremy Corbyn
Aug 09, 2015, 09:29
IanB wrote:
You don't even need to be a member. It costs £3 to have say in the outcome. £3 buys you the same say in the leadership election as Liz Kendall, Andy Burnham and the rest of those MPs with their white flags of surrender already bought and paid for. The best £3 most people will ever spend if JC gets the leadership.

Corbyn / Creasy the dream ticket.

Personally speaking I wanted a woman because it is one of only two radical moves to take politics in this country let alone the Labour Party - I'm dreaming of course!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 09, 2015, 13:24
Questionmark wrote:
IanB wrote:
You don't even need to be a member. It costs £3 to have say in the outcome. £3 buys you the same say in the leadership election as Liz Kendall, Andy Burnham and the rest of those MPs with their white flags of surrender already bought and paid for. The best £3 most people will ever spend if JC gets the leadership.

Personally speaking I wanted a woman because it is one of only two radical moves to take politics in this country let alone the Labour Party - I'm dreaming of course!

Personally speaking I'll be voting for the person with the policies I most agree with. I'm less interested in whether they wear their genitals on the inside or the outside.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 09, 2015, 20:36
thesweetcheat wrote:
Questionmark wrote:
IanB wrote:

Personally speaking I'll be voting for the person with the policies I most agree with. I'm less interested in whether they wear their genitals on the inside or the outside.

That wasn't me saying that. I like Stella Creasy for taking on pay day loan cos. Not a gender issue for me. In the end being deputy is probably a lot less important than shadow chancellor. I will be impressed when someone who doesn't look like a dodgy insurance salesman gets that gig!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 09, 2015, 22:17
I was quoting Questionmark, sorry if it looked like I was quoting you Ian.

I agree with you, it certainly isn't a gender thing at all. If Leanne Wood or Caroline Lucas was a candidate for the Labour party leader I'd be happy to vote for them. But Liz Kendall is the antichrist as far as I'm concerned and Yvonne Cooper is too Blairite as well. Corbyn is the only one whose policies say anything to me.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 09, 2015, 22:56
Good Owen Jones piece on what might happen if Corbyn wins the leadership.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/owen-jones-right-are-mocking-jeremy-corbyn-because-secretly-they-fear-him
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Alastair Campbell ...
Aug 10, 2015, 23:14
"Anyone but Corbyn"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-leadership-alastair-campbell-begs-6228390
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index