Jeremy Corbyn

Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Jeremy Corbyn
Jul 23, 2015, 15:07
Tony Blair's comments about the leadership contest were appalling! Even Prescott called them abuse!

Even though satire, there's a ring of truth in this!

http://www.themorninggerald.co.uk/2015/07/corbyn-is-really-voldemort-says-blair.html?utm_content=buffer8e648&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2015, 12:11
Last Night's Result
Jul 24, 2015, 12:58
JC (no not that one) missed out on the Hampstead and Kilburn nomination by one vote last night after comfortably winning the first two rounds. Yvette Cooper picked up enough transfered votes from Burnham and Kendall to pip him in the final count.

That's a good indicator as to where we stand overall.

Please pay your £3 to sign up as a registered supporter. Your vote could be the one that reclaims the party for the left from the Progress sell outs.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 11:36
Calls today for the election to be abandoned due to infiltration by hard left activists. Bollocks. How about some of the millions who didn't even vote in the last GE or voted Green, like myself, because it was a choice of that or Tory-lite. Plus he's coming over very well on telly, keeping it straight and simple and not getting in a flap. People know where he's coming from and are responding. Benn would be proud of him.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 12:13
spencer wrote:
Plus he's coming over very well on telly, keeping it straight and simple and not getting in a flap. People know where he's coming from and are responding.

Totally agree!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Last Night's Result
Jul 27, 2015, 11:32
Hi Ian. Yes, us two (me and me 'man') are signing up today.
Aside from the fact I think he's the only politician for years to come across as having real ideas and old fashioned conviction, it's all the more crucial for us up here to get rid of these SNP arseholes who give less of a stuff about any sort of political change (or even the day to day running of Scotland tbh)than their own little grubby agenda (rejected by over 2m BTW).
I'm with you all for the good fight here.
Regards.
**Typing as I listen to a bit of Sleaford Mods**
;)
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 15:01
He's the only one out of the contenders who has a sense of 'principles' (if that's something still within a politician) and last week's abstaining from most of the party showed that. I'm not going to rejoin Labour, they're currently not a party that I want to support, living in Wales the only left wing parties here are Green or Plaid. Labour are really gearing towards more centre-right, which is not what the vast majority of Labour supporters want (going by those I've spoken to).

The fearmongery from the blairites right now really rings bells with their fiasco over the Scotland referendum, a load of bs that cameron himself was surely proud of, and probably laughing at right now and they wonder why people don't trust them!

I think it was Margaret Becket who put forward JC as a leadership candidate and now says she regrets it, as he's got a chance of winning. The sheer pointlessness and hypocrisy of that appalls me and really shows the pettiness within the party right now. I hope Jeremy wins and sorts the party out. I don't think it matters right now whether he's considered PM material as there's another 5 very long years until the next GM, but he's got the capacity, if elected as leader, to steer the party back to a party that supports the people again. Something they've lost over the past decade or so.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 28, 2015, 01:04
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/27/labour-is-now-so-passive-it-might-as-well-be-led-by-an-out-of-office-email?CMP=twt_gu
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2015, 10:26
Jul 28, 2015, 09:49
I think for the Blairites it is less about power (which they seem happy to cede to the Tories) and more about their collective legacy.

The American Neo-Cons are going through a similar process but have gone for plausible deniability rather than the self-delusion of Labour's right. Of course the Americans don't have the fig leaf woven out of successful domestic multiculturalism to protect them from accusations of abetting a racist international class war.

Imagine if a Labour party not driven by genuflection to the forces of international capital and free market madness could win an election! That would give the party and the country a chance to openly reassess Blair's legacy and examine the damage done, sometimes deliberately, more often out of sheer stupidity or greed and to critique the slavish devotion to a discredited branch of economics that has a hydra like capacity to turn up in country after country. What would that say about Blair and co in terms of their place in the social history of this country and Europe in general? A bloody footnote to Thatcherism and not a lot else. That's why their fear Corbyn. Nothing to do with what is good for the country or the party.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jul 28, 2015, 21:00
Good piece, especially the conclusion. Bit like the end of Blackadder Goes Forth, the humour turns nicely to darkness. The Labour front bench should be ashamed of their spineless performance.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jul 29, 2015, 10:33
Mark Steel on the Labour leadership election:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-last-thing-labour-needs-is-a-leader-like-jeremy-corbyn-who-people-want-to-vote-for-10411466.html
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index