Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited May 13, 2015, 13:24
Re: Cat Stevens...
May 13, 2015, 13:24
Lawrence said something pretty objectionable recently; but I think most semi-literate people understand that using firing-squad imagery to illustrate your dislike of something isn't actually a genuine incitement to violence.

When I say that advertising execs will be "first against the wall come the revolution", I'm not really advocating mass murder. I'm using an image to draw attention to depth of feeling. You can criticise the staleness of the cliché, certainly, but deliberately misinterpreting it as anything other than that is almost the definition of trolling.

Also, while Lawrence may indeed have been guilty of using racist language; I don't think I'm alone when I say that your obvious glee at this fact, and your use of it as a stick to beat him with - not out of some attempt to combat racism but because you take a petty delight in making the chap squirm - is really quite unpleasant.

I'm sure you sleep fine at night and have absolutely no qualms about what you say on this forum. It's who you are. But if I were you and found myself behaving in the way you do, I'd be really quite worried at the sort of person I'd become.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 13, 2015, 13:33
You are quite correct.
I do sleep very well at night.
It's the ability of people such as yourself to give the Lawrence's of the
world a 'pass' that have caused many interesting people on this site to just jack it in over the years.
Really old man, it's a very small community here.
How long can you all pander to just yourselves?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 13, 2015, 13:45
dhajjieboy wrote:
You are quite correct.
I do sleep very well at night.
It's the ability of people such as yourself to give the Lawrence's of the
world a 'pass' that have caused many interesting people on this site to just jack it in over the years.
Really old man, it's a very small community here.
How long can you all pander to just yourselves?

I don't give Lawrence a pass. I have lived and worked in Arab nations. I have Arab friends. I found his casual use of that term obnoxious. But he was called out on it by others. In fact, it was only when he was called out that I noticed it.

Because, fact is, I don't read very much on here these days, and contribute even less. Since it drifted to the right, I find the discussions here conservative, unimaginative and often hostile to genuinely leftist or radical ideas. Very occasionally (usually around an election or when a major political event has happened) I will scan a couple of threads and add my thoughts if something jumps out at me.

That's about the limits of my involvement here. So whatever questions you have about the "community" here would be better directed elsewhere. I don't feel that this forum can be described as a "community" in any real sense of the word; and if it is, then I certainly don't feel part of it.

However, I do sometimes get exasperated when I see people act obnoxiously online and feel compelled to call them on it. Which is why I responded to you. You're being really quite nasty, and if you're happy with that, then there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. But in the off-chance you didn't realise just how nasty you're being, I thought I'd let you know in the hope that you might tone it down.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 13, 2015, 13:56
You 'tone it down' pal.
Me nasty? I have'nt resorted to profanity once in any of these threads.
Yet am met with FUCK YOU's right and left and CUNT Kicking absurdities.
Nasty as that? I don't think so.
As always...you make the rules. And give the passes. As you see fit.
Do you wear a Mitre?
Too right wing for you? This place? Any right wing {as you say} utterences here are the utter minority. Always met with total belligerence by the 'Cadre'. What's to discuss?
There is no MIDDLE ROAD here jimmy old boy
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 13, 2015, 14:12
dhajjieboy wrote:
You 'tone it down' pal.
Me nasty? I have'nt resorted to profanity once in any of these threads.
Yet am met with FUCK YOU's right and left and CUNT Kicking absurdities.
Nasty as that? I don't think so.
As always...you make the rules. And give the passes. As you see fit.
Do you wear a Mitre?
Too right wing for you? This place? Any right wing {as you say} utterences here are the utter minority. Always met with total belligerence by the 'Cadre'. What's to discuss?
There is no MIDDLE ROAD here jimmy old boy

The idea that someone like me, who doesn't even visit here for months on end somehow "makes the rules" amuses me.

In fact, I pretty much disagree with everything you say there. But I sense little point in continuing. The version of this site that exists in your head doesn't match the one I see on the dozen or so times per year that I still post here.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 13, 2015, 14:16
I believe that you have been called 'patronizing' many times here in the past. By many ex contributers.
Yes.
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 13, 2015, 15:29
Fuck you!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 13, 2015, 15:30
Thank you very much Grufty!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 13, 2015, 15:36
I think if anyone's a closet right-winger it's Dodgy-boy. I think I stopped caring what other people think of me long ago. I made those comments because I'm sick of the constant whine about Muslim terror, so much so I feel contempt for BOTH sides of it. After all since Dodgy is obviously a right-winger I think his point about me is moot.

And yes, frankly I've been disgusted by the rightist turn here and the other three forums.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited May 13, 2015, 15:48
May 13, 2015, 15:47
I'm not exactly squirming. Just that I'm getting pretty disgusted about being taken to task for an admittedly stupid thing I said. I can post whatever I fucking want here as long as I'm not trolling the excessive amount that Dodgy-boy fucking is. So call me a fucking racist or any other fucking ugly thing you can think of Dodge, because you're already looking quite foolish.

Oh and if I here of any more whining about Muslim terror I may have to join ISIS or Al Qaida myself! Ha!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index