Young, Nazi and Proud

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

schizothreadic
Nov 05, 2002, 12:57
Well, evolution of language is great - hey! if it weren't for linguistic 'evolution' (or as I shall now call it "vole-crap") where would be today?

Without vole-crap we would not be able to communicate as freely and as openly as we are able to here today.

However! In a formal context, linguistic vole-crap should be disgarded and no colloquialism should ever be used - only dictionary definitions should be employed. The vole-crap of languages interferes and causes rifts and misunderstandings to occur in debate and formal contexts. While the use of locally vole-crapped words in a conversation amongst friends is fine, as each will have the same knowledge of the words in question.

Didn't a bloke called Darwin write a best selling book on vole-crap?
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: schizophrenic
Nov 05, 2002, 12:57
so, in other words, *any* word can mean *anything*, if enough people use it that way

stop wriggling ... you've been busted, and you know it
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

where next (vole-crap)
Nov 05, 2002, 13:00
TV Guide
TV Review
Slagging off BNP bloke
BNP Blokes sisters' tits
Anti-fascist memory lane
Roles of the police
Mental illness
Semantics
NLP (didn't get very far with that one)
Darwin
Vole-crap

excellent subversion, all pat yourselves on the back ..
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

language and meaning
Nov 05, 2002, 13:02
Saying:
>
> *any* word can mean *anything*
> [full stop]
>
is very different from...
>
> so, in other words, *any* word can mean
> *anything*, if enough people use it that way
>
which is precisely what i believe to be the case. Or do you have an alternative theory on how languages evolved and were created other than "enough people started using the same sound to represent an idea, and therefore bestowed it with meaning"? That's how i believe language works. I'd be interested to hear other theories (seriously)...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 05, 2002, 13:03
"That doesn't mean that i can just decide today that "ride" means "to hunt caribou with obsidian arrows". The word means something very specific in those locations."

Surely that's pretty close to the Irish meaning!

I'm off to 'meet' a friend.
lissy
202 posts

Re: schizothreadic
Nov 05, 2002, 13:07
what mariella darwin the famous revolutionary volecrap thinker? she sucks man x ps VOLECRAP hahahhahahahahahah xxx
lissy
202 posts

Nov 05, 2002, 13:09
who are you today then rg? wicky spanker or nasally preventative ..
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Nov 05, 2002, 13:12
What a loud of linguistic evolution!!

By that token, FW, the word "gay" should have only been used to mean: "Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry". right up until the day the dictionary* finally caught up with culture and included: "Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex."

Frankly, i believe the word "gay" completely changed meaning long before the dictionary caught up - to restrict "formal discussions" to an archaic mode of expression. To exclude "gay" because some editor in Oxford hasn't caught on to the cultural changes is... well, it's just so bloody Conservative (and conservative).

* which dictionary, by the way? cos in case of the word "gay", they changed at different times... the Americans switching over first... i guess you'll have some British Colonial hangover that decrees the folks in Oxford should tell us all what we mean to say, right? ;->
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: where next (vole-crap)
Nov 05, 2002, 13:18
add to that the HH classic... "list-making".

Wah-hey!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 05, 2002, 13:24
I agree that in everyday conversation words should be used as they are used. It couldn't be simpler.

However, in a formal situation they should not. It opens you up to ridicule and victimisation from picky wankers and anal retentives

:-)

And why does everybody use the word 'gay' as a counter example? If the gay community hadn't adopted it for themselves and it had remained a derogatory term you would be cursing its use.

Think of another one ....
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index