Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Rusell Brand - Revolutionist?????????????

61 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
woolybaque
woolybaque
109 posts

Edited Nov 05, 2013, 15:31
Re: Robert Webb's response.
Nov 05, 2013, 13:33
I too vote Green rather than not vote, but in the knowledge that should they ever achieve any measure of power, then the same corp(se)s that run all the major parties will likely run them too, and that I know not where the answer lies. I fought in the 80's and we lost. However, I do have sympathy for Brand, because no politician can stand the democratic illegitimacy that comes from a low turnout, it leaves 'em vulnerable, (Gil scott-Heron's B Movie said it). Not voting can be a de facto vote for not wanting to be associated in any way with the undemocratic abnegation of national sovereignty - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-frontal-assault-on-democracy - that is now common to all of the main parties. What does give me hope is that there is a substantial and growing counter culture...Occupy etc...establishing itself. I hope that the high profile likes of Brand associate themselves with that counter culture, having seen how the nature of our press was decisively influenced by the high profile and quite moral interventions of Grant & Coogan. I notice that Paxman himself is supporting Brand's analysis (don't laugh) of contemporary, established politics.
Revolution, by the way. I grew up in a liberal social democracy, part of a Europe of liberal social democracies. In the 80's, there was a revolution, of libertarian capital demagoguery, which is where we are now.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index