Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Rusell Brand - Revolutionist?????????????

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2013, 19:09
Re: Robert Webb's response.
Nov 06, 2013, 10:35
I would have voted for Brand in that Quick Poll but I don't vote. ;)

(I can't vote as living on a boat permanently is apparently illegal. Ho hum).

It's no one's job to get to know a sleb. There are much better things to do with your time. Still, I do think people would chill out on Brandy if they spent a bit of time evaluating him outside of the image projected from his early career and the media- so that hour video would probably help (can't watch it just this second). Like I said, he seems to make the worst bloody first impressions on people for some reason. And second impressions, for that matter.

ETA: The revolution is a bit of glib joke. Well, not a joke as such- I do agree with his stance entirely- but in terms of Brand as the revolutionist:- There was a funny bit on the podcast he did for the teenager cancer trust earlier this year where his co-hosts ripped into him for an email they accidentally got from Brand where he complained to his assistant about not getting thick enough tissue in his private car. Brand likes to surround himself with people who will knock him down to size when the Messiah Complex starts kicking in.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Re: Rusell Brand - Revolutionist?????????????
Nov 06, 2013, 19:01
Today's Guardian front page article. Not alot to argue against here:

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2013%2Fnov%2F05%2Frussell-brand-democratic-system-newsnight&h=JAQEtu4J7&enc=AZP7ohmHk8jg2BkvKNyBZ7WHg1FZvS-uZdZIxELu-Xd1JB89-QUKrfVHVij17y9d8saYO9-EfDVJR86FaZc-jRDLOQvj0o514Cjg3Ry9EWNeWXxCwwiVoT-BhPazj1BcOGp93Gm0tB3LE3Zescd lH3rKa&s=1
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Nov 07, 2013, 08:35
Good article. The sheer level of hatred that he attracts rather puzzles me. I'm not a fan of his comedy, or him in particular, but the accusations of hypocrisy that he attracts are daft. So he's successful and wealthy. So what. That doesn't exclude him from making some good points, getting these issues into the mainstream media and getting people talking. I don't see why you have to be a skint political intellectual to get the kudos for doing that.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Clegg squeaks - oh the irony
Nov 07, 2013, 13:06
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/07/russell-brand-row-nick-clegg-jeremy-paxman

How can he not see that he is part of the problem! eg reneging on his student fees promise, amongst many examples. What a hypocritical git. He'd have been better keeping quiet and not drawing attention to himself.

And since when are you not allowed to criticise something you're involved intimately with? These people want it both ways - they'll say Brand shouldn't comment because he knows nothing about politics.

grrr
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Clegg squeaks - oh the irony
Nov 07, 2013, 14:32
I made the decision some time ago to never trust anyone who says "At the end of the day..." And he used it twice in one blurb. I used to work with someone who'd immediately jump in with "...it's night!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr36XDC6hmA

In other news: I did watch and enjoy that 70-minute clip Moss posted yesterday.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Clegg squeaks - oh the irony
Nov 07, 2013, 16:44
Rhiannon wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/07/russell-brand-row-nick-clegg-jeremy-paxman

How can he not see that he is part of the problem! eg reneging on his student fees promise, amongst many examples. What a hypocritical git. He'd have been better keeping quiet and not drawing attention to himself.

And since when are you not allowed to criticise something you're involved intimately with? These people want it both ways - they'll say Brand shouldn't comment because he knows nothing about politics.

grrr

Hi Rhiannon, Can't stand Clegg, so will keep character assassination at bay, but how he can stand back to back with Cameron I find extraordinary. The 'bedroom tax' an obscene act of cruelty, can't even think who thought that idea up.. it is like we going back to Dickensian times. Quite like the fact though he has come out of his corner, as has Paxman, let the debate go forth. As for student fees, it is like having to pay your way out of slavery; get a job, then pay back a mortgage, plus about another £40.000 for a degree....

Sin Agog, glad you watched link, at least he sees the funny side of things..
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Nov 07, 2013, 20:48
thanks Moss, enjoyed watching that.

I used to think he was a knobhead, but I've completely changed my view of him. At least somebody is standing up and speaking out.

He's an easy target to sneer at, but I've had similar beliefs all my life, and I've rarely heard a public figure articulating these ideas (honourable mentions to Billy Bragg, Jeremy Hardy).

Robert Webb's comment about revolution leading to gulags and death camps is crap. Nicaragua? Egypt? Eastern Europe? and these just from the last 40 years.
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Nov 15, 2013, 08:13
I thought Stewart Lee summed it up well at recent gig;

"It was hardly Frost/Nixon – more like watching a monkey throwing its excrement at a foghorn".

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2013/nov/10/stewart-lee-live-comedy-review

Recommend the show incidentally.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 21:34
I'd give him a bath.

;o)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 20, 2013, 18:12
Nov 20, 2013, 18:12
Tsk,

Mind you "Russell's" are traditionally quite sexy

8^P
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index