Workfare "providers"

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Re: Workfare "providers"
Feb 21, 2012, 08:23
I remember being 17 and going down the Jobcentre in Nelson looking for gainful employment, having worked in retail in the hols since being 14 (pretty nifty with a pricing gun) and being redirected to the careers office. A spring in my step and a song in my heart, only to be informed that being under 18 I needed to get myself a YTS placement. But having rent to pay at £20 a week's no good if your wage is just under £30. So I lied about my age to employers which worked swimmingly, and upped the hourly rate. I'm not into slavery, I thought we'd abolished it.
The only justification for Workfare that I'm willing to consider is for young adults or those who have never worked to get them into the spirit of things. Even then, surely they should go to the top of the list re available jobs if they "perform?"
Not much for the argument "just create more jobs" as round these parts you need to speak Polish to get them. Just ask my neice and nephew- they're finding it tough to keep a job. This country has gone way past farcical whichever way you want to look at it.

U-Know! Forum Index