YerArse

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Re: YerArse
Sep 13, 2002, 14:58
"Scotland, no of course it's not opressed in the same way India was"

Thanks for the partial defence but I'd prefer a full defence.

Scotland was oppressed as much as any of the English Empire and in many ways we got it worst. It just happened at a much earlier date which is why it perhaps seems less terrible to you. We were integrated into 'the United Kingdom', which made us complicit in the later oppression of other peoples and less and less oppressed the more we accepted our role as foot soldiers and colonialists.

We got it first, and we have had it ever since, every time the British national anthem sings of hammering the Scots as the most minor yet significant example.

Perhaps the highland clearances weren't as bad as the Irish were to suffer, but we were suffering it for hundreds of years before Ireland was subjecated.

India now is free ( of England at least ).

I don't think scots are better than the english, doubtless we'd have oppressed you if we could've.
I think Scots have themselves to blame for allowing themselves to have been oppressed, I am not whinging but pointing out historical fact.

The worst legacy of English oppression of Scotland is the Scottish tendency to blame England for everything. Its a cop out, but I can see why it developed that way.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index