U-Know! Forum »
Climate-Cat's out of the Bag!

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
DarkMagus
170 posts

Re: Climate-Cat's out of the Bag!
Dec 04, 2009, 11:12
Glad to see some signs of open mindedness. Good.

I have read a fair bit of the information myself. For some background, I have worked with computer models and have had the dismal task of sorting out horrendous, poorly documented and maintained code such as that produced by CRU. Thankfully, not quite THAT bad! I genuinely feel sympathy for "Harry" who seems to have been put in an impossible situation. Kudos to all the people who are voluntarily reverse engineering the model right now, it's challenging work. With all the main players closely linked & sharing data, we need to know how the data was generated. The suspicion that the model was being fixed to give the desired results has some credence so far.

I am very curious as to why the Guardian, Independent and BBC are taking a head in the sand view. Why the left/right split, this is supposed to be science?? At least the BBC last night finally gave some coverage on Newsnight, which I thought was reasonably balanced. The choice of quotes from the documentation did seem to be be intended to scapegoat the programmer when some of his other comments could squarely have pointed to more fundamental issues with the data: garbage in, garbage out. Maybe they were keeping their powder dry.

I don't know how this will all pan out in the end. For all our sakes I hope AGW is bullshit (which I suspect, but confess not to knowing for sure).

All the attempts to close down debate "the science is settled" goes completely against the scientific method. Science is never settled. If it was we'd still think (or be told to think) the sun rotated round the Earth & Newton had all the answers on gravity.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index