IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 18, 2009, 19:05
Re: Fuel for extremists?
May 18, 2009, 18:33
Merrick wrote:
head-first wrote:
I was considering whether to bother using my vote in the upcoming elections, but this chap on the TUC website might have a point:

"Refusing to vote will not stop a single councillor or MEP getting elected. Instead it will simply make it much more likely that extremists - particularly those peddling race hate and intolerance - will be elected. This is a particular danger in the Euro-elections where the proportional system allows people to get elected on a relatively small share of the vote."

This is an absolutely vital point.

Turnout at European elections is always low anyway. This time the mainstreamers will stay at home, and the share of protest votes will go up. A lot will go to the BNP. If they score over 8%, they get seats. And they also get hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money.

It's fucking vital we turn out and vote for anyone but the BNP.

Too late. They have been building a base for years. They are nailed on for a decent performance in a handul of districts where they have worked hard at grass roots and now have the added advantage of a very low turn out.

Fortunately (and with no small degree irony) extremism itself is widely seen as Un-English. Something alien and foreign. Worse still it is seen as specifically European. No, people who bother to vote are going to be looking for dull competence first and foremost and will expect to see it coupled with that mythic, eye-of-the-beholder concept of English Common Sense. I am not sure the far right or far left scores well on either count.

I don't know about Scotland, Wales or NI but voters here are going to want the reassurance of Government that does what it says on the tin so first major party to purge en masse, offer a giant mea culpa and field a batch of candidates who look and talk like pre-war bank managers (or failing that regional tv news readers) will do well. John Major, man out of time. Ronseal John.

May all play out well nationally for UKIP (who brand themselves as specifically non racist) but less so for the BNP. Though of course UKIP seem to have their own problems. Will be interesting to see how Libertas do in that context. They might put down a marker for the future.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: I'm sorry
May 19, 2009, 01:24
Excuse me?

Did the royalist in the room say something?
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 19, 2009, 02:06
No, just my frustration at the deliberate mis-information being posted.
OK, it clearly has been mis-used by some MP's of all parties, but the 2nd home allowance, is intended to allow MPs to claim reimbursements for costs for a 2nd home which are "wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred from the purpose of performing their Parliamentary duties".
Clearly some people posting on this board feel that an MP can commute to London every day...irrespective of hours worked in the House...availability of public transport etc. There are others who feel that a set of dormatories would work best. Yet others consider B&B or hotel rooms would work best....etc etc.
Personally, I dont have a problem with the 2nd home idea, so long as MP's cannot profit from this allowance. This is a sensible way of allowing a family to spend time together, while the MP can still maximise their availability to both the constituency and Westminster.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 19, 2009, 02:28
Yes, he did. and he is getting really tired of the one-dimensional, idealistic, fantasy political posting on this board. It's a great excercise in time-wasting, with no chance of changing anything political in real terms.
Is it unreasonable to be frustrated when for example...
# after a number of political comments being exchanged, the "opposing" poster declares that he/she is not a democrat...and probably wont vote in future elections!
# a poster puts forward a couple of Militant Tendency MP's, from almost 30 years ago, as examples of honorable politicians. Clearly this is a view...but honestly, cant we work in the present day?

Yes, I am basically a Tory, although I have and will vote non-Tory in local elections, based on the candidates contribution in my locale.
Incidently I am pro-European...so I am on the fringe within the Tory party. Yes too, I am a Royalist.

Clearly there are a majority of political idealists who post here...personally, I think they are likely to change nothing. Voting and participating in a political democracy...even if I more-often vote Tory...I think I will change things...and for the better.

Anyway..as the great FZ said..."Don't forget to Register to Vote"!
There are some important elections coming up...
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 19, 2009, 02:46
Sorry, forgot to add...you don't have a Royal Family do you....so how do you know what it feels like to have one?
You want to try and convince some of your travelling countrymen, that Royalty is something to be be dispensed with!
By the way, thought your post a couple back, was verging on the paranoid - hope that's not too strong a comment.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 19, 2009, 03:12
So, who do you like then?
Brown
Clegg
Farage
Lucas
..anybody else?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited May 19, 2009, 04:51
May 19, 2009, 04:35
geoffrey_prime wrote:
Sorry, forgot to add...you don't have a Royal Family do you....so how do you know what it feels like to have one?

Why should I have to be English to know that propping up inherited wealth and power is an anachronism that ought to die with the past?

America doesn't technically have royals, but in fact, we do have the next worse thing, which you should be quite familiar with- old money that distorts the democratic process.

I'm almost curious to hear what your defense is of royalty. That it brings tourist dollars? That it's 'tradition'?

I'm sorry you feel duty bound to defend the crown against all the rest of us... I do admire your tenacity.

I've been sparring all alone against a half dozen defenders of corporate excess for the past three days on a local forum, so I can sympathize with your isolation here. I'm not going to budge, tho.

I AM a descendant of people who fought just a hundred miles east of here to throw out the monarchy.

Sorry if any of my ancestors shot any of your ancestors. Nuthin' personal.
67 Shelby Mustang
45 posts

May 19, 2009, 07:00
i said i wouldn't read your shit anymore tory boy. but i did and still think you're a cock.

who probably lives with his mum
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 19, 2009, 09:21
"Personally, I dont have a problem with the 2nd home idea, so long as MP's cannot profit from this allowance. "

I quite agree, but it should be a rent allowance.

As a result of them designing and enacting a system that obliged us to give them subsidised mortgages they have collectively profited to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds of capital appreciation. How can that be right? Or alternatively, how can it not be right, when they come to sell their second homes or when they leave our employment (whichever is earliest), for them to repay to us that portion of the capital appreciation that is due to us?

All the fiddles combined are dwarfed by this scandal.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 19, 2009, 10:49
We agree...
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index