135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Apr 08, 2009, 22:11
Re: GROW UP!
Apr 08, 2009, 22:09
IanB wrote:

In terms of creating a fairer society I think of the UK as no more and no less than a swing-state and it is the sum of individual daily actions that will determine the outcome. Protesting someone else's failures is not "doing" any more than you can win an argument with a baton. Real change comes with concerted individual localised daily effort not forming up in massed ranks behind a flag or a marching band and then going home again to await the next clarion call while the outcome is being determined elsewhere.

While there are many serious and committed people involved there are also people who seem to view the whole enterprise of protest either as an ad hoc version of Glasto with the addition of an Urban Warfare Tent or, some kind of hyper adrenilized, state-sponsored spectator sport. Which in some ways is exactly what it is.

Just noticed your post here Ian, you rarely pipe up here but when you do you often make the most consise sense out of any of us!
I'm of the belief that if you take care of your own little world and that which surrounds you then there will be knock on effect of sorts.
I'm involved in lots of things to do with the school and certain community groups and it's not as newsworthy as throwing goo at politicians but to those involved (and me) it means everything and actually achieves more.
I have always sensed a misanthropic streak here at times, now I sort of understand why that is.
The Glasto comparison too is priceless, and I get ye 100%
Cheers, a chink of light at last.
x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index