Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Re: police thugs
Apr 07, 2009, 16:33
Merrick wrote:
sttomas wrote:
Just in case you missed my point earlier, or just chose to ignore it!

I only read it after posting the reply above, and felt what i'd just posted covered a lot of the ground. No disrespect intended!

sttomas wrote:
The thing is is that you are still talking about a minority (for wont of a better word) in the police

Are you really saying that it's only a minority who obey an order to attack a crowd? That I've just been unlucky in seeing total compliance whereas in some other places the majority of coppers refused?

sttomas wrote:
You are generalising

Indeed. When people behave with unanimity that's a fair thing to do.

sttomas wrote:
horrified by the actions of a few of their colleagues or the decision of one misguided officer

to restate - I am not talking about a few officers who behave badly or a one-off bad decision. I'm talking about a repeated strategy and universal compliance with it.

To be perfectly honest I think you're generalisations are quite misguided and irresponsible, you really do come across as anti police.

sttomas wrote:
an important point which you've ignored is that no one knows who starts the violence as both sides will inevitably blame the other side.

Explain how this applies to instances where the only violence is from the police.

If you'd have replied to my post earlier, it may have saved going over a lot of ground and causing everyone to repeat themselves!

No, what I am saying is that the likelihood (tbh, no one can know exactly what's going on in someone's head) is that the minority will attack without question! What you've been implying is that they'll just attack if they're told to. Having spoken to police (some of whom are my friends) I think I've managed to get a good objective opinion. The thing is is that you just seem to be looking at the negative aspects of the police when it comes to crowd control. Maybe you have been unlucky, but I hear (from protestors themselves) more so of the Police being very friendly when it comes to demonstrations!

Is it fair to generalise? I'm sure an outsider just looking in may disagree!

Repeated strategy? I've already commented on this, can't be bothered repeating myself if you missed it the first time.

"To be perfectly honest I think you're generalisations are quite misguided and irresponsible, you really do come across as anti police."

I said that, not you.

sttomas wrote:
an important point which you've ignored is that no one knows who starts the violence as both sides will inevitably blame the other side.

Explain how this applies to instances where the only violence is from the police.

[/quote]

Explain how this applies to instances where the only violence is from the protestor
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index