U-Know! Forum »
Steiner Education

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
girlinwellies
134 posts

Steiner Education
Jun 06, 2002, 09:27
Any of you have a Steiner education or have kids that have one???

Whats your experience of it?

GiW
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: Steiner Education
Jun 06, 2002, 11:31
The few ppl I have known that have used the Steiner philosophy and education all agreed it was very good! I researched Steiner at Uni and it was all very Kewl sTuff that I couldn't really fault (much)!
Check it out dOod you will probably Loike what you fiND!
cHARlIe*
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 06, 2002, 11:40
I considered it for my kiddies and spoke at length to my local Steiner school (one person who visits this site went to the same school - but I'll let them speak up for themselves if they wish to).

I also spoke to people who had been through it. Surprisingly I found a very different mix of outcomes. A lot were very well balanced people with a good outlook on life, some were very disturbed from the experience and found it hard to 'fit in' with society outside the confines of the school.

I decided that it wasn't for my kiddies as they'd been in state schools for too long to adjust.

I did like the concepts though.
girlinwellies
134 posts

Jun 06, 2002, 14:42
my little boy is 3 so will be starting main stream education Sept 2003. Although most of the village school are alright they are all pretty pushy on academic skills ( as i expect are all schools now) Also the level of conformity requireed to fit into the class structure makes me shudder big time. On the other hand unless i move it seems as if the decision i take now as to schooling makes an impact on ALL his schooling. Im prob getting way too stressed bout this and projecting loads of my own school shit onto this..but hey..im a mum!

Anyways.... a new steiner school has opened a few villages away. Its pretty small but they all seem well mellow. Although im not up on the steiner education philosophy, im pretty familiar with their medical philosophy...which in most ways fits in with my own work.

However at my old school we used to get steiner kids join the school at 6th form. They all seemed at the time quite a mixed up bunch...also quite aloof from the rest of us ( that might of been cus the steiner school in Bristol was ina pretty affluent area)

so i just wanted to see how other people got on..and what they thought

GiW
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 06, 2002, 18:59
Hi GiW,

Although I went to a state school, I taught some curative education at an ex-Waldorf/Steiner school in Worcestershire. Luckily (yes it was great!) I was sent away to study the '12 Human Senses' in Cornwall at the Peredur Trust, which gave me much insight into the widely varied mindblowing/ sometimes kooky and very gentle nurturing, sense-revealing world of Anthroposophy. I agree with FW in many ways that the biggest problem with a vastly differing educational system from the 'norm' is re-integration outside of school, although it has to be said that often many kids who seem freaked out come from parents who sent their kids to a Steiner school on account of it being 'far out' and 'cosmic' enough to justify the input.

The only way to check it out is to go along and have a long talk with the teachers there, I have met many wonderful people via Anthroposophy (Spiritual Science) and believe that Steiner and others were way ahead of our tim in many ways, yet a little too blinkered to foresee the integration and shortcomings of such a system.

That said, my kids (should I have any) would be taught there. The world would be a better place, being embarrassed at eurythmical outpourings is Bothma gymnastics is far less of a trauma than the cut and thrust of inner-city bully-dom and goal-clawing ;-)

Yer takes yer choice :-)

Please email me if you want any more info, I have many contacts.

http://www.steinerwaldorf.org.uk/

* b e *
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 06, 2002, 19:00
"way ahead of our tim"???

TIME!
girlinwellies
134 posts

Jun 06, 2002, 23:23
hEY thanks for ur input morfe...lots of good points for me to ponder.......going to look at the school Monday weeek.

It currently has 10 pupils at the school and 5 at the kindergarten..but has only been open a year, bloke that runs it seems well mellow though..direct contrast to my memories of a head...thanks god!

Ta for email advice line...will certainly take u up on that ...bet u wish u never offered now..ha!

GiW x
Mr B
53 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 11:35
Steiner schools are for the affluent few who have hang ups about standard schooling. Nice idea in principle but apparently lacking in getting across the basics like levels of numeracy and literacy high enough to get a job. Then again most Steiner kids parents have their own agenda and their kids future as an adult in the workplace rarely gets consideration. Usually they dont have to worry since Mummy and Daddy will bail them out later in life when it gets tough. I read that David Gilmour filed legal proceedings against Steiner when his kids came out unable to spell, add up and such like.
They could describe a colour though!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 14:39
"Then again most Steiner kids parents have their own agenda and their kids future as an adult in the workplace rarely gets consideration"

Please qualify that statement?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 14:50
Perhaps that should be reversed and say

If enough kids had a Steiner education the workplace would be a better place

:-)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index