Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Edited Apr 14, 2008, 18:52
Re: Save Shoreditch and Brick Lane
Apr 14, 2008, 18:50
leonard = Stray.

Well aware of your points of view Grufty. We know how this development will play out, exactly like all the previous developments have played out in London for the last 20+ years.

In summary.

Local shop owners get moved out, then get offered to come back, albeit at stupidly inflated rents. Same happens to home owners. A few fuck off rich developers get a lot more fuck off rich. People get displaced, local community dies. Also, but of course, the city gets another fair few thousand feet of office spaces that will lie empty like the thousands of square feet empty in other parts of London. I mean, is Canary Wharf actually fully let yet even ?

This issue, like most urban regeneration plans has absolutely nothing to do with any enviromental issue, or common sense (short of the profit motive common sense). I agree wholeheartedly with your logic but it doesnt actualy apply to the real world of city planning short of lip service, or more accurately, as an excuse to rip the heart of an area to make some cash.

I, as you know don't really want to get into a debate about the green worth of such a project, (or the 'thats the way we have to do things for the good of the planet') because it is in fact not the issue here at all.

I'm all for us living sustainably, it's not going to happen until everything really goes tits up (which I think it will, am looking forward to it etc), and we have to. Until then, lets strive to keep a grip on some sense of community I say.

U-Know! Forum Index