U-Know! Forum »
The Great Global Warming Swindle

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
DarkMagus
170 posts

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle
Mar 09, 2007, 13:17
You really are quite funny. Yes I said I didn't think it could be proved. That is not the same as saying it can't be disproved. Read up on your scientific method for clarification. As I've repeated here my position is largely agnostic. Your reply appeared as essentially character assasination. I'd be interested to hear your arguements against the science put forward in the film.....

And yes a minority unorthodox opinion can prevail in the long term. Did the sun not once rotate around the Earth???? At least most people who studied astromomy believed that. Apparently not anymore. This is the history of science, theorys get disproved ALL the time, even the most cherished ones. This will apply to things I currently believe, so I claim no superiority.

I've just re-read a Guardian article about the film (still online) written before it was broadcast and in retrospect it is almost as funny as your rant.

BTW I am pro-environment, but not bad science and fundamentalist positioning which characterises this debate. See previous thread (or should I call it feeding frenzy?). Since you brought up the previous thread, you now sound like a Christian who has been told God doesn't exist.
Hexham Wolf
Hexham Wolf
341 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 13:18
Let us not forget the director of this documentary has been on Channel 4 before and was subject to a damming ITSC report and Channel 4 had to issue a public apology for broadcasting a misleading and distorted load of tosh:

Link to George Monbiots website regarding this:

www.monbiot.com/archives/2000/03/16/modified-truth/#more-529

I didn't see the doc so can't comment on what was said. It would not be unresonable to urge extreme caution regarding the output of this director given the sham that constitues his pevious efforts.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 14:10
Bullshitter.

(I was just using my detector).
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 14:27
Save yourself the bother Jon. Just read the previous thread. It's already happened, and will follow exactly the same path this time round.
dee
1955 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 15:15
Science sucks...
dee
1955 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 15:17
Heh heh heh!!!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 15:25
I 'know' very little about this, but even if we have got it 'wrong' what the hell harm would it do just to make the air a bit more breatheable, use less electricity etc? It'd make things 'fresher' and 'cheaper' for one. Great! I didn't see this show, but hopefully it's on my crappy cable tv 'watch again' facility. Maybe we should just let science battle it out in the meantime and improve things for ourselves, coz it seems there's some serious stand-offs going down here.
BTW, I really get pissed off when the nearby petro chemical co. is fined sums like £1000 (about a third of a second's profit)for all the smelly bile it spews out.
x
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 15:44
Yah but that's the whole point.

The climate change deniers insist that there is doubt in the scientific community. They deliberately muddy the waters, then try to say that the issue isn't clear.

To the best of my knowledge there is overwhelming consensus that anthropogenic climate change is happening.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 16:13
Oi you! I make a living (or at least a bit of pocket money) teaching science! And I'm afraid I teach about how carbon dioxide DOES contribute to global warming - tis on the GCSE syllabus so it MUST be true! ;-)
dee
1955 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 16:31
Ooops!! Just kidding!! ;-)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index