U-Know! Forum »
The Great Global Warming Swindle

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
DarkMagus
170 posts

The Great Global Warming Swindle
Mar 08, 2007, 21:50
On Channel 4 now. All you glabal warming fans watch and learn.....
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle
Mar 08, 2007, 22:58
I turned over when someone said 'we're all made from carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide is how our bodies grow'.

Yeah I know plants make carbon compounds out of co2. And we eat the plants. But that has fuck all to do with it. And there were too many people talking about how the climate's been different in the recent past. But that has fuck all to do with whether our carbon dioxide now is doing anything. Or whether a precautionary approach wouldn't be a bad thing

perhaps I shouldn't have turned over. But it was people ranting, it wasn't science. I don't understand why some people are so determined to disprove it. Maybe they haven't been following it for the last 20 years, maybe they've only become aware of the subject in the last year or so, and they're just part of the media hype they pretend to decry. Who knows.
DarkMagus
170 posts

Mar 08, 2007, 23:26
I'm afraid you should have continued watching. It wasn't ranting at all - it was highly science based, well argued and convincing. The majority of contributors were professors (all clearly well qualified tin the appropriate areas), not the usual cranks.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Edited Mar 08, 2007, 23:29
Mar 08, 2007, 23:29
Interesting it was, and a very convincing argument. I did wonder who these scientists were at the beginning who's names had been wrongly roped into IPCC reports, where were they, and why have't they said anything?

It was good though to hear the other side of the argument, the climate change thing is something i sit on the fence about because there's always something that nags at me about the subject. Not sure what it is though!
DarkMagus
170 posts

Mar 08, 2007, 23:35
I have always been agnostic, tending towards disbelief based on my own scientific knowledge and associated bullshit detector. This film tied together a lot of threads from authoritative sources that make me seriously doubt that the CO2 theory has any validity at all.
DarkMagus
170 posts

In case you didn't see it there's a summary here...
Mar 08, 2007, 23:39
http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=CZ434669U&news_headline=global_warming_is_lies_claims_documentary
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Mar 08, 2007, 23:47
So how did they get round the issue that CO2 acts as a greenhouse gas in the atmosphere, and this century we've been pumping it into the atmosphere like at no other point in human history. And this has coincided with the temperature of the world measurably increasing?

If it's not cause and effect, could they put their finger on the actual cause?
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Mar 08, 2007, 23:55
One thing that does make me think, if they're right, could we have brought about a premature global warning by pumping all this stuff into the atmosphere!

Thought it was a bit bias re: the africa situation, fair enough everyone should be able to have electricity in this day and age, but does everyone have to have it at the expense of natural resources and contribute to more air pollution, if not climate change!! The program showed a health centre using solar power, the argument was was that it's expensive and unreliable, not really sure about either one of those, but if people (other countries included) were so concerned couldn't some concession be made? It's not impossible and seems like an easy approach. In words anyway!!

Another point on this bit, we (in the western culture) have only had electricity for about the past 100 years, we were pretty much in the same boat as the leccy less africans at that point. It was a fair point on the program, but I felt it was a bit overplayed!
DarkMagus
170 posts

Mar 08, 2007, 23:57
It's actually quite simple. The CO2 increases follows Earth warming by about 800 years, not the other way round! The earth warms, which warms the sea very slowly (due to its enormous size). The warming sea releases more CO2 as it warms.

What is happening is that global warming causes CO2 to rise, not CO2 causing global warming. The commonly shown graphs of CO2 vs temp over very long periods (such as in An Inconvenient Truth) show this but good old Al gets it the wrong way round. The graphs do show the same trend, but the temperature one is in front!

From 1940 - 1975 CO2 emissions increased strongly thanks to the post war boom, but temperatures actually dropped.....

The real likely cause is sun activity, for which strong evidence was shown in the film.

Hopefully Channel 4 will repeat it so people can see for themselves and make their minds up, rather than be like churches criticising Life of Brian without seeing it.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Mar 09, 2007, 08:21
I didn't see the programme but if I find some time I shall try and put a reply together about this as I'm a researcher interested in climate change and flooding. Unfortunately I've got a lecture I need to prepare for now, then a stack of marking...
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index