You can keep your free oil!
Oct 15, 2006, 23:21
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/09/alaska.oil.chavez.ap/index.html
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: You can keep your free oil!
Oct 16, 2006, 13:07
Such misguided nationalism... Chavez is a nutter, but he only aims his attacks on Bush and his cronies... Not at Americans in general. But I guess a dig at Bush is taken personally by some Americans. I can't figure it out.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Oct 16, 2006, 14:24
They are attempting to have us all think similarly in the UK, and frighteningly it's infiltrating the mentalities of some. I think it's more rife in the U.S because you are geographically more isolated.
Rousseau's Social Contract reads as an exemplar here, where the basic tenor is 'you are your government' and 'you are not a full human being if you do not comply with the greater good, and the greater good is your government'. It all gets mashed uo into something that makes Adolf's plans look like a toddlers' tea party.
Brrrrrrrr.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 16, 2006, 14:36
shanshee_allures wrote:
It all gets mashed uo into something that makes Adolf's plans look like a toddlers' tea party.
Brrrrrrrr.

I don't know if any western nation could end up as bad as Nazi Germany these days, tho there certainly are some twisted minds out there doing their damndest.
In the USA (and UK) there are just too many different kinds of people for a really unified tyranny to develop, I think. Germany in the 30s (and Japan) were culturally and racially homogenized nation-states. Back then there was not nearly the kind of open communication between people around the world (no internet).
I don't want to seem like I'm casually dismissing the threat of dictatorial nationalism, but already the Bushies have found out it's not so easy to prevail, thankfully. They are going to face a seriously uphill battle in the elections next month.
U-Know! Forum Index