U-Know! Forum »
Afghan prisoners

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Chip
94 posts

Re: Afghan prisoners
Jan 17, 2002, 22:08
But do you think people like them can ever be released back into society? These were the ideological trigger-men; the first chance they'd get they'd probably use it to kill civilians seeing as their will never be any god-directed cessation of hostilities that they would abide by. Fuck 'em, throw away the keys.
Joe Chip
94 posts

Jan 17, 2002, 22:41
Maybe you think I'm being harsh, but consider this - most people on this site would agree that child-molesters be incarcerated for activities which we rightly consider beyond the pale. Right? Well there were children on the planes that crashed on 9-11, and what was done to them by Al Qaeda was even worse. They're cruel and brutal people and it's unlikely that they can be rehabilitated. Further, if they were repatriated to their countries of origin, they quite possibly would be executed, so their circumstances in Cuba are reasonably humane.
caergog
393 posts

Jan 17, 2002, 22:44
I firmly believe that if people are treated in a civilised manner they are more likely to be civilised back. By treating the prisoners as they are at the moment the hostile situation is much more likely to continue, it gives more fuel for the case of destroying 'the evil west/america' that these prisoners are locked up for and also makes them seem like martyrs to their peers.
If we are a civilised society we should respect life.
locking animals up in this manner often makes them quite disturbed is this what america wants these prisoners to end up like?
caroline
caergog
393 posts

Jan 17, 2002, 22:49
child molesters are not locked up in cages open to the elements, They normally have a certain amount of comfort like a bed, food, warmth, access to tv and books etc no freedom but a degree of civility
caroline
Joe Chip
94 posts

Jan 17, 2002, 22:55
Yes, quite right, we should feed them McDonalds and let them have occasional excursions to Disneyland.
caergog
393 posts

Jan 17, 2002, 23:13
well that would kill them off soon enough!!!
caroline ;)
landells
landells
680 posts

Why Cuba
Jan 17, 2002, 23:34
Guantanamo Bay naval base - which covers 45 square miles - was leased to the United States in 1903. Each year the US pays the Cuban government $5,000 a year. It can only revert to Cuban control if abandoned by the US, or by mutual consent.

I think Guantanamo Bay is also the HQ of the US Marines
caergog
393 posts

Re: Why Cuba
Jan 17, 2002, 23:50
thankyou for the info, it has settled my wonderings
carolinex
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 18, 2002, 08:44
Joe Chip, i think you may be mising a very important point here. If any of those captured turn out to have directly planned the hijacks on September 11th, then i might have some sympathy with your views on this (though still can't say i'm happy seeing people shackled, drugged and hooded for days on end in the name of freedom and democracy).

But the point is that these people are (notwithstanding Rumsfeld's decision to make up a completely new term with no legal precedence; "unlawful combatants") either "prisoners of war" in which case the US has a legal obligation to treat them in accordance with a set of defined rules, OR they are "terrorist suspects" in which case they should be treated as innocent until proven otherwise in an established court of law... no i'm not suggesting they get cable TV and cordon bleu food; but the US is quite simply acting illegally whatever way you cut this - and the US does not have some right to ignore international law just because it was attacked.

or are you of the opinion that vigilanteeism is indeed the right way to run the world?
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Watch that Pariah, it'll be you next
Jan 18, 2002, 09:59
it's not how you behave when it's easy that demonstrates how "humane" (or 'cool') you are, but when you're under pressure ...

it's how a system treats the most reviled prisoners that shows how how humane it is ... think about it:

* rounding people up randomly based on their presumed ethnic origin, not specific charges
* keeping them in cages
* torture
*hooding
* forced shaving

now, is the US (except it's not the US, it's a convenient offshore place that the normal laws don't seem to apply to), or is it Nazi Germany

If these things don't bother you, then that probably won't convince you, but what I think we're seeing now is the US laying down a new standard of behaviour ... we've already seen it in Israel, where next, as a dictator takes their lead from the Worlds Number One, and tortures when it feels like it ...

a scary new precedent, from a country who's leader can't eat without nearly killing himself ...

RG
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index