Springtime...bike time!

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

Re: Morfe, bike guru
May 11, 2005, 11:29
Bloody hell, mate, sooner you than me... One of the delights of being on a bike is my eye level is about 6 and a half feet up in the air. I've seen those things linging around London and I know I'd never have the guts to drop down that low - the cabs wouldn't see you, for a start (not that they do half the time anyway...).

On another note, went out on the towpath last night and realised I can ride on it all the way from home in Warwick to gf's home in London.. :)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Morfe, bike guru
May 11, 2005, 13:32
realised I can ride on it all the way from home in Warwick to gf's home in London.. :)

That in itself would be worth the price of a recumbent :-)

As for visibility, here's the type of discussions I see such comments as:

"The only problem I have with motorists is that they continually want me to pull over so they can try my bike. The "cool factor" of a bent is through the roof."

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-93727

After reading many such forums I gathr the follwong pro's and cons, (although I can't wait to try it out for myself!):

For - you are at eye level with car drivers - the bike is 'odd' looking and doesn't get 'filtered' out, and you usually get cars giving you a wider berth.

Against - Some lowrider are SO low I wouldn't ride them in traffic at all. If you read driver's reports on 'bents, they say that they 'disappear' (into blind spot) more than upright bikes.

A couple of big wavey flourescing flags on bendy poles should sort out any doubts :-)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

non-scary shorts
May 16, 2005, 18:19
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C1308

Rhiannon I got mailed the above link today so thought would pass it on. You can wear any clothes you like over them (try and avoid heavy denim or large seams) without worrying about looking like a prat, and it beats spending 50-60 quid on trendy surf/bike wear.

Onwards...
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: non-scary shorts
May 17, 2005, 10:02
Ingenious and cheap. Thanks Morfe! I've also purchased myself a little pingy bell and a carrier for the back so I don't get so sweaty with my rucksack (which ironically is holding my clean clothes) from the local bike shop. Onward
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index