Springtime...bike time!

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Morfe, bike guru
May 10, 2005, 10:58
Morfe,
I'm feeling pleased with myself (though knackered) since I cycled to work this morning, first time this year. I can put up with men with calves the size of my thighs zipping past me like I'm standing still. I can tolerate having five poxy gears and my bike being prehistoric. But some things just aren't right - can I ask you a few questions?
I suppose my knee ought to be utterly straight when my foot's at the bottom of the pedal - so I should raise the seat a bit? I seem a million miles from the handlebars (drop handlebars, but I can't use them like that because I'm scared) so I seem to be leaning down on my hands quite a bit, is that right?
Also, could you give me the website you mentioned before as a good place to buy stuff, as I think I'm going to have to be Sensible and buy some comfy cycling shorts with no seams. But not the really scary ones as my bum is too fat.
ta. You are very kind and inspiring.
Rhiannon
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Morfe, bike guru
May 10, 2005, 13:57
Hi Rhiannon, glad you're still spinning pedals!

I just got new saddle and it's tranformed my daily commute - resulting in more cycling time -wider grin - and narrower arse. Huzzah!

"I suppose my knee ought to be utterly straight when my foot's at the bottom of the pedal - so I should raise the seat a bit? "

Yeah straight, but not utterly locked straight, a tiny bend is required at the knee in that position, hardly noticeable, but you shouldn't be rolling left and right when you are pedalling 'cos yr legs have too far to reach.

So get yr saddle right - dead level, use a spirit level even and at that height where your legs are only very slightly bent at the knee ('relaxed' straight) at bottom of pedal stroke. Drop handlebars are great for aerodynamics, but awful for posture - can cause great discomfort. I would get some mountain bike bars and a short, highrise stem to mount them in.

I use 700c wheel bike (as I remember you do?) and spent a lot of time getting the cockpit right. Now use riser bars and a high stem with spacers so I'm only slightly bent forward. This removes most of the pressure at the wrists and even better - the strain in the neck when having to look upwards to see where you are going!

Lastly, I think that cycle store I mentioned was

www.wiggle.co.uk

Hopoe these points help Rhiannon. Treat yourself to some comfort! Should look something like this:

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b15s18p1596

I'll let you know when I finally get my dream:

http://www.bikefix.co.uk/b-sm.html now that looks soooooo comfortable and scaryfast
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Rhiannon
May 10, 2005, 14:03
Before (if) you change handlebars check there is enough length in control cables to reach to the new location. Or ask a bike mechanic in local store?

Oh buy a new bike, go - on ;-)
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

May 10, 2005, 14:08
If you take the drop handlebars off, and put them back on upside down, so that the drops point upwards, and the ends of the handlebars point back towards your knees, three things happen.

1. You get a really comfortable upright posture on the bike.

2. Because of the new geometry, you can pull awesome wheelies.

3. If you have a crash, the ends of the handlebars go straight into your thighs.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

May 10, 2005, 14:54
There was an article in The Metro recently about saddles and several new designs that are available that make riding a bike easier for women (and men).

This may be a useless contribution, particularly as I don't have a reference or webpage.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: Rhiannon
May 10, 2005, 15:11
Thank you so much for the advice, Morfe. New handlebars sound just the thing then. A new bike... hmm. so tempting. If I prove to myself I need it perhaps I will! ie by being good and regularly cycling. I've already found a (legitimate) excuse for not cycling tomorrow. Thursday for definite though.

I saw one of those 'recumbent' cycles this morning. It looks terrifying. I can't imagine how you stay upright, but the people who use them look beautifully relaxed somehow (yes, laid back..).
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

May 10, 2005, 15:49
I can back Morfe's recommendation of Wiggle - it's great for extras and clothing and they're really easy about returns, for whatever reason.

x
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 11, 2005, 01:00
That's ok Rhiannon, it's my pleasure, and of course I get to be called a bike guru - it's win-win :-)

Actually wiggle.co.uk (great as it is) doesn't always cater for everyday non-expensive parts - I forgot to recommend (with this in mind) St John Street Cycles in Bridgwater.

They have a HUGE warehouse, stacked to the 30ft roof with everything bike. I got to see it in real life once, it was something akin to a Morfe in Wonderland.

find their catalogue online here:
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

Re: Springtime...bike time!
May 11, 2005, 11:21
"Beware of creatures with a high body mass to brain size ratio.. like cars" - so saith the Bodivoodoo.
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

Re: PeeVee
May 11, 2005, 11:24
I once saw a cyclist with what looked like steel studs plugged into the ends of his handlebars. Nice for that 'Ben Hur' effect of making the cows keep their distance in heavy traffic.

Anyone know where I can get a set?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index