Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Techy boring question
Mar 25, 2005, 16:57
Hi Mojojo,

It's not all screws, it's cable tensioning too :-(
Yeah I find gear-adjustment tedious! Try this....

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml

Probably all you need to know, and more than you want to! But if it gets the job done so be it!

There's always the local bike shop mechanic if that doesn't help ;-)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Mar 25, 2005, 17:05
Hmmm. Good point. Problem is tho...inveterate and self-righteous car dependency can lead to aggression, sociopathic behaviour, and a bulimic bank account.

Not to mention the increased girth of the torso and buttocks and mouth.

It's all about balance...
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Hmm. Get a new one!...
Mar 25, 2005, 19:00
...and recycle/restore the old one at leisure! Nothing like a new bike in the springtime to, with a good fit, to feel just, well, just freaking ace!

I know I go on, always been a bike-freak, well, since 11 yrs old anyway, but I let it slip for about 4 years. Couldn't believe the difference in fitness. Decreased lung capacity, stamina, general well-being. Also I think I'm dependent on cycling for those precious hours of meditatve stuff. I get a bit moody if I haven't had a 10 mile blast for a few days. I just got a new one cheap mail order as the MTB wasn't too great for the commute which is 20+ miles of fast A road and small lanes. It's a hybrid with bigger wheels and puncture-proof tyres, and the difference in speed and comfort is awesome, both improved. Plus I get the grin factor leisure riding off-road on the MTB at the weekends, instead of looking at it and thinking "oh not that thing again..."

What type do you ride Stevo?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: type of bike?
Mar 26, 2005, 15:57
I can't remember what brand since I haven't really looked at it too closely in ages. It's got brambles growing through the front spokes so if we're talking present tense I guess the answer is none.
But the one that is out there is chunky with turned up curly handles. Is that a mountain bike?
I had a bike before that that I found and did up spent loads on then realised it was a chunk of crap. So traded in for the one that's been standing out there for years, used thart abouyt 9 months then was drinking too much in my 1st year at college. So it's been unused, must get it together and get on a bike again.
Ah could ride out the frustration of being stuck with the turd in my house ah.
Stevo
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Mar 29, 2005, 17:36
Thanks morfe.

I've booked it into the bike shop for tomorrow. ;-)

x
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: Hmm. Get a new one!...
Mar 30, 2005, 08:44
Good advice there morfe. I bought a new bike last year (my first new bike ever) and it makes riding so much more of a joyful experience.

Living in London there's certainly few better ways for getting around, money wise, fun wise, speed wise (it takes me less time than the tube to cycle the 7 miles to work) and of course throw in a bit of leching/flirting with the sexy women cyclists.

I bought a Kona Smoke, it has a relatively small frame but comes pretty much ready for urban riding, chunky wheels but smooth tyres, mudgaurds already on, twist grip gears. Very simple matt black paint job to make it unobtrusive(ish). I *heart symbol* my new bike :-D
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Mar 30, 2005, 10:47
Hey Ratnic, the Smoke is a good choice, IMO, i got the cheaper 'version' of the same bike by Raleigh.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2E0127CA which I bagged mail order for 165 quid.

I used to commute on a modified Cindercone but find the 700c's make a big difference.

Problem was, when I bought this bike last year, after 10 miles or so, the saddle played hell with the old perinium. It was *the* softest saddle with the 'anatomical' cutouts, so i couldn't understand it. But riding became a right pain. I figured (eventually) that the sadle was bunching and compressing. In essence it was TOO padded, which defeated the object and chafed like hell. I took as much online advice as I could fiond, and bit the bullet for a Brooks leather thang. Grandad style, 600 miles break-in period. But it works!!!! After 300 miles it's now shaped to my sit-bones and riding is 500% improved. So many people are put off cycling because:

1. The saddle hurts
2. The seat is too low and they are pedalling against the 'force'!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Mar 30, 2005, 11:28
Ride that turd outta yo mah-nd, brutha!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Mar 30, 2005, 11:32
Sorry I came over all preacherman! Maybe the Church Of Bike is just waiting to happen...
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Mar 31, 2005, 10:48
Yeah, a good saddle makes a huge difference. I ended up having to replace mine because I left my bike locked in Stoke Newington for about 2 hours and it had one of them quick release saddle things. So some little bastard nicked my saddle and post. Was only a week after I'd bought it too. However the saddle is much more comfy, the right blend of cushioning and firmness, I don't even notice it now (was only your post that reminded me of saddle pain!)

Have you seen the bit a the start of Taxi where queen latifah is the despatch rider in new york, sometimes riding through town I feel a bit like that, whizzing between the traffic, sneaky little shortcuts, over bits of kerbs etc. so exhilarating!!!! *sigh*

Am with you morfe - love cycling, and all the more reason if the rumours of including motorbikes and scooters in the congestion charge are proved to be true
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index