What is better than Capitalism?

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: The real question is
Sep 09, 2003, 23:11
heh, so do I. Nah, my point was only semantic really. If you read the communist manifesto and then compare it to any of the alleged communist systems there are/have been in the world you'll find no similarity. so saying communism failed isn't right, it never got the chance to be truly international. Came close in 1919 to spreading to Germany, France and even here in the UK but the Communist Parties of those countries messed it all up.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 09, 2003, 23:21
My point is that's the problem with Marxism -- doesn't really apply to the real world. I think his underlying theory is based on a lot of bad assumptions ("superstructure" and the whole materialist trip -- as in "dialectical" materialism.)

Basically, Marx is horseshit and that's why no one has ever been able to make it work.

Just my opinion (and yes I've read the Manifesto, Das Kapital, and most of his writings. Engels, Trotsky and others too.) ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Back of the class
Sep 09, 2003, 23:22
Was I saying that?

I'm losing you . . .
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: What is better than Capitalism?
Sep 09, 2003, 23:28
Yeah, indeed *Come back Grufty Jim*
We love you!! In fact things aren't the same without you :-(
morfe lux
301 posts

I'm overworked!
Sep 09, 2003, 23:29
Sorry Dog, I thought you were saying everything was inexhaustible (because all energy comes from the sun) and 'carry on soldier' type thangs to the general thang.
R & R

Later dude :-)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Sep 09, 2003, 23:53
And its very out of date too, thats the most important thing to point out I think. What would he have made of this internet communication thing and it's possible uses for the proletariat. Heh, I shudder to think. Trotsky would have loved it though.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 00:00
Marx would have called the Internet a tool of the ruling class. The circus part of "bread and circuses" at best.

That's why I say his materialist trip is such a joke -- he ignores culture, science, technology and all the "good stuff." He's all about smokestacks and shit.

Which brings up the whole idea of "information society" vs. "industrial society" I suppose . . . oh so many tangents come from this whole topic.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Technology!
Sep 10, 2003, 07:27
"if we can support the current population then it's not overpopulated."

But we can't can we. The planet is not sustainable, with current technology, at the rate we are using resources. A serious alteration in the way the west lives is necessary and it's necessary very quickly.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 07:31
"I also have a lot of faith in technology to make things like fuel cells cost-effective (duh, otherwise why invest in developing them?)"

Well, the obvious answer is, because when it works someone stands to make billions from it :-) It certainly isn't being funded for 'the good of mankind'.

It's like cold fusion. Will it ever work? It doesn't look likely, yet millions are pumped into that area of research every year. The reason those funds are made available is because it might just work and if someone's going to make a fortune out of it then it might as well be 'me'.

You have to speculate to acculmulate etc...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 07:36
I think there are reports (including industry inside reports i.e. from oil companies) that state that oil production has already peaked.
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index