Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: Carnac
Jan 13, 2004, 09:03
Boringly:
Kermario means 'Place of Death' (although the 'ker' bit, as we all know, probably has many more meanings). The 'mario' bit I guess has connections with words like mort and stuff.
Manio, I'm totally guessing, probably has something to do with Maen or Men which is Breton for 'stone'.
As for 'Kerluigi' I'm stumped...
wideford
1086 posts

Re: any info?
Jan 13, 2004, 10:14
In looking up Irish site info , the few I have , the references seldom make it clear which is the nearest township . Which is as you said why alternate names are listed , so that more informed parties can come up with a final resolution . Thanks .
After posting I looked up Rosdaugh in the "Guide to the National and Historic Monuments of Ireland by " ( ISBN 0-7171-1956-4 ) and in the new 1992 edition Peter Harbison seemingly hedges his bets by saying "one part of the stone circle may have been adapted for other uses later" .
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 10:52
Thanks Mark! I'm boring enuff to find that interesting & it sounds about right to me. Presumably Kerluigi comes from the pagan/R*man god of ears - "Lug".

love

Kermothio
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 11:00
Sorry, that was a poorly executed Nintendo joke...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: any info?
Jan 13, 2004, 11:13
Letterbeg probably should actually be Tonadoon - doon being a fort (usually spelled Dun)
broen
broen
204 posts

Re: Brilliant!
Jan 15, 2004, 18:04
tiz ok fourwinds - maybe more of a rapid response next time :)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

It's gonna have to go :-(
Jan 21, 2004, 14:48
http://www.irelandscape.com/image_details.php?photo_id=151

<snip>
At first glance this would seem so, but St. Dervla's Twist is less than 15 years old. It was created as part of the 'Mayo Sculpture Trail'
</snip>

shame ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oh and ...
Jan 21, 2004, 14:49
... thanks to Anthony Weir for finding this.
greywether
greywether
241 posts

Re: It's gonna have to go :-(
Jan 22, 2004, 08:47
You'll not believe this (honestly, you won't) but at one time I had a reply written to the effect that I thought the stones looked rather modern and were possibly built to look splendid against the backdrop of what I assume is Slieve More. It was the paved path up to the site that looked especially suspicious (although not conclusive).

The reply was never sent because Mr Procrastinating Greywether felt it sounded rather negative and he should first do some Googling to try to back up this assertion. This he did not do.

Of course, Mr Schadenfreude Greywether now wishes HE'D sent the reply.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: It's gonna have to go :-( EVENTUALLY!
Dec 29, 2005, 00:44
I just found this topic after talking to someone about this place, I was sure what she was describing had to be the fake (sorry, modern!) but when I searched on here I was stunned to see it listed with no indictation that it was a modern art-work. Its very nice but if you dont follow the link to this topic in the forum you may travel a long way and feel pretty cheated when it dawns on you....
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index