any info?

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
broen
broen
204 posts

any info?
Apr 03, 2003, 17:50
A guy I work with bought back a slide of Rosdoagh stone circle - Map Ref: F827383 - County Mao. Looks fantastic

I said I'd have alook on line to see what info I could grab online about this site. But a quick search left me empty like thousands of regular Glastonbury goers.

Any Info on this site? How old etc. - would be nice

-broen-
]:-}
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: any info?
Apr 03, 2003, 21:29
You don't often hear this place mentioned because it's not anywhere near a main road. I was supposed to go and see it a couple of weeks ago but ran out of time.

Myself and Anthony Weir think we found a picture of it (hence my intended visit to check) but we aren't sure. Any chance of seeing your friend's picture?

It is in an area not known for circles. That part of the country is court tomb country. One person said to me that it could actually be a full court that has lost its tomb. Until I get there I don't know.

I should be there sometime in May/June. Watch this space.
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 02:29
The picture I have seen is on a slide - I could ask for a copy it's quite a nice shot.

The slide had "FAL MOR" hand written across the top and he told me it was on "Blackside Bay" (though it was noisy and I couldn't quite hear what he was saying) - where the Spanish Armada landed in "County Mao" and apparently sank, anywayz..

After a few dead ends I came up with the picture that you'd found and realised it was the same place, the pyramid shaped stone a prominent clue. We also drew a pretty rough sketch/map which I then crosschecked with the TMA - Map Browser.

He said he maybe able to get a grid ref: I'll give him a prod tomorrow.

Hope this is of help -

-broen-
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 18:02
I'm getting a copy of the the slide sometime after next weekend (10 days(ish)) - I'll get them to drop it on a disk.
and mail it to ya if you like?

Also the only info he found about this site was a small section in the "lonely planet - Ireland" book.
He also said that there was a layby reasonably near it, which would seems to make this site a little less isolated.

Do you think its the same site? I may be in the wrong field - again.

-broen-
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 18:11
>>Also the only info he found about this site was a
>>small section in the "lonely planet - Ireland" >>book.

I have that so I'll take a look. Never thought to look in that!
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 18:35
whoops - it was weirwolf's picture not yours that I'd seen

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=11956

erm..... the plot thickens
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 19:32
that is so beautiful ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 04, 2003, 19:40
It is a stunning photo isn't it. Hence my desire to see if it is Rosdoagh or not.

The plot may not have thickened ... you may have found the missing link ...

As I mentioned before, it is possible that the 'stone circle' is NOT a stone circle but the remains of a centre court tomb that is definitely at that location. This tomb was marked on the 1840 OS maps as 'Stone Circle' hence the possible mistaken identity. There is now 'Megalithic Tomb' on the new OS maps.

I need to get there and check it out.
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 05, 2003, 00:35
thats what I thought. beautiful art

Just as you get used to this subject someting else pops up to refuel your enthusiasm.
Does it never end?
broen
broen
204 posts

fourwinds - photo
Apr 19, 2003, 11:18
I have a had the photo delivered to me - in a seemingly useless format - still

I have to get this print scanned and then I can post - I have no scanner :(
the photo has actually been trimmed - which cuts into the left side of the shot..

As you maybe able to tell - I am not over the moon with this reproduction but he has another slide which he says I can have. I may be able to barter info for it. But that's another day

So I'll get it sorted and post it when I can..

Hope you do your 50 circles -
Will be thinking of ya rushing around - ;-)

what a fun time you'll have posting :-)

broen
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index